Titre/carte de Séjour

Sorry Bill, Oops! :blush:

1 Like

:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

A great post Andrew. I think a lot of people see Citizenship as a small step to give them security whereas the state sees it as a huge decision.

3 Likes

Lovely people, do the documents you provide need translated from GB to FR and if so does it need to be a certified translation? Particularly interested in the St Lo prefecture

We’re going to St Lo tomorrow Helen and will let you know when I get back. Went today but was turned back at the door because the guichet was overwhelmed with applicants, they couldn’t admit any more. Had a sausage baguette from a stall in town Square and came home.

Tomorrow we’ll be there when the gates open at 0830…

We’ve made up our dossiers with a mix of French and English documents, the latter I have labelled briefly in French to say what part of the evidence they belong to, but most of them are French bills, statements and health cover (Amelie) attestations.

Peter, all the best for tomorrow.
I applied for a EU carte de séjour permanent after applying for citizenship so I’m picking up the former(hopefully)at the beginning of June with my interview for the latter 2 weeks later.
I did have a carte de séjour in 1994 from another region(long lost)luckily the number was noted on a house purchase document and was still in the system, but in my maiden name( I was married at the time) and although the official tried her best she couldn’t overide the system to put in my married name(kept after divorce),so it will be interesting to see which one turns up on new card

I’ll be really pleased to have this card and makes me feel a lot less pressurised about the citizenship application(in case I fail) ,though am keeping all docs past and future just in case we have to do it all again post Brexit
Sorry if I’ve mentioned this before but I was in the queue at the préfecture on a freezing cold morning surrounde by asylum seekers who had spent the night outside and it really put my worries into perspective

2 Likes

Thanks for your good luck message, Carol. We were fourth in the queue and our dossiers were examined and seemed to get the nod of approval, as we were told to expect a phone call to collect our cards. My impression is that they make a rapid assessment of the evidence and reach a quick conclusion as long as there are no obvious problems over health cover or resources for self-sufficiency.

Anyway, fingers crossed. Will keep you informed on outcomes.

That is true, but I would prefer that all UK citizens could retain their freedom of movement without having to go through a rather tedious process.

The 27 seemed rather underwhelmed by TM’s latest offering, so it may be that citizenship will indeed be necessary.

It’s the route I will go, if I do anything, as I am sure it would be a pretty easy process for me personally.

Necessary for what Jane?

For freedom of movement.

That makes sense. It won’t affect me as I have no intention of moving permanently from France anyway.

It is my distinct impression that the local French agencies (in La Manche at least) are alive to the concerns of British residents in the Département, and are willing to support them as far as they can in securing some kind of indemnity against insecurity of residence post Brexit, whenever that actually occurs, and on whatever terms.

So far we have been met by French officials who seem to be willing to smooth the way to Titre de Séjour documentation, and this apparently supportive stance is, to me, very reassuring. I wish I could say the same about HMG.

Again, it’s my naive impression that the French people with whom I’ve tentatively broached the topic of Brexit are generally pessimistic about the eventual outcome for UK, and its citizens abroad in the EU.

Where do u go to get the carte application form? Can i print from online??

You need to check on the website for your prefecture. They all have different criteria. Some need forms filling in, some don’t. Some need translations, some don’t.

1 Like

Merci!

Look on the website REST IN FRANCE TOGETHER (RIFT). it is a very active site re. CdS and oodles of info.

1 Like

It’s a very useful site but a small correction-it’s REMAIN in France Together.

1 Like

Meghanne, in our small town (population < 3000) there is Centre d’Animation et Services bureau where there is a videolink booth available (and support on hand to use it) so you can have virtual face-to-face contact with your Préfecture, and get help and advice on the spot on most matters, including Titre de Sejour.

The local Centre staff will also willingly help by making phone calls or sending emails on matters you need help with, and by printing out forms you need, and helping you fill them in. At least, they did so help us. They usually have someone who speaks some English. The videolink usually puts you in touch with an anglophone.

You may find a similar resource in your nearest town, and save yourself a visit to the Prefecture at least at the outset, when all is confusing.

This service seems to be part of a national resource intended to roll out digital facilities across all regions and departments. We live in Manche (50) which is a mainly rural area.

1 Like

yes - my mistake