To test or not to test?

I am still waiting for the evidence that Coronavirus swabs are dangerous.It is wrong to post something like that on an open forum unless you can back it up, you may put someone off having it done who it turns out really needed it and then spreads the virus to a lot of people

5 Likes

Yes this is indeed the case, I’ve just called mine and they dont’ do it and said to go to the lab but I’d rather not have the nose one at this stage so I’m looking to see if I can find another pharmacy close that does it.

I still don’t think I’ve got it, feel like I’ve got a UTI coming on so that could definitely explain the slight temp.

The nose thing may tell you if you have got it. Blood may tell you if you have had it. You need to know if you are infectious now

Unfortunately it seems to be a ‘fact’ being dissimulated all over awful bloody FB :rage: :rage: :rage:Here is an article refuting the ‘facts’ about it being dangerous.

Hmmmmm I see. I’ve not looked into it at all, just reading up as I’m filling in the form for getting the test and they’ve asked if I want a blood or a nose test. So the blood test does not show current status only past infection?

OK so I’ve filled in the form on my lab’s site and then called for an appointment and they can’t see me until tomorrow morning. Will update then!

As I understand it:

• the blood test attempts to measure the number of detected viral particles circulating in a sample of blood (test sérologique).
  • the swab test (nose and throat) is a PCR test (polymerase chain reaction) that attempts to detect viral RNA, and is at best a shotgun approach dependent on good construction of PCR primers.
  • the pinprick blood droplet test is an immunochromatographic test using an antigen or an anti-antibody associated a coloured marker (conjugate) that will bind to antibodies produced by the body and present in the blood after the body has fought the viral infection. The accuracy of such tests is very much dependent on the specificity (how specific the antigen or anti-antibody is to the analyte it is supposed to bind to) and affinity (“binding power”) of the antigen, and also on the sensitivity of the test itself (concentration of antibody in sample). I have yet to see any of these details provided anywhere, but perhaps I should trawl through some scientific literature databases to see whether these tests have been reviewed yet.
2 Likes

Thank you for an excellent, clear explanation Alex!

1 Like

Well that was pleasant - NOT!! :rofl:

As soon as i was done I ran into a neighbour (with kids in DS3’s school) and they’ve all had the same symptoms as us and got tested yesterday and all negative! My results should be back this evening or in the morning. I’m confident now that this is just the rentrée normal bug!

2 Likes

I checked and checked until about 7.30 and I’m just off to bed and checked again and the results are there (uploaded at 8.50 - pretty impressive!) and NEGATIVE - yah!

5 Likes

Good news Tory, hope you feel better soon :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks Lily, already do, actually feel better than I have in over a week, already sanded a whole (very tall at the apex) wall’s plaster board joints and about to go and knock some wall down :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I’ve been sooooo frustrated and now full of energy!

1 Like

Useful article on testing on the France24 website

> In France, which has a generous public health insurance system, all tests are reimbursed by the state. However, priority is given to people who have reported symptoms and obtained a doctor’s prescription, or those who have been in contact with someone infected.

This isn’t true though, you can get the test without a prescription, when you fill th eform in and answer all the questions I believe that is what gives you the OK to have it. I was charged nothing.

1 Like

I can confirm I have booked a test for Monday morning - I have no symptoms, do not have a doctors prescription and am not being charged.

So just doing it to experience how unpleasant a swab up your nose is?

Always listen to your body :pray:

3 Likes

Certainly asymptomatic people in my part of the UK are encouraged to be tested,because they are asymptomatic, to find out how prevalent C19 is without people knowing they have it

1 Like

But how do you know you’re asymptomatic with Covid - or just haven’t got Covid ? So does that mean anyone should have a test ? Confused !

They are encouraging people who feel well to attend