Tools & materials from the uk

We have been gifted a quality chainsaw (used) Would this be allowed through customs?
Side note, does the 100ml restriction apply on train journeys? I vaguely remember bringing back some sprays, over four years ago :thinking:

Yes, as long as the petrol tank is drained and purged.

1 Like

Indeed

One thing I learned recently though is that, pre Brexit, if the whole installation was done to UK standards that would have been permitted.

It wouldn’t solve the problem that no french sparky would touch it with a bargepole but it would, at least, have been legal.

I wonder whether anyone ever did this.

I did bring both cable and pipe over from the UK - not twin+earth though. The only “odd” thing about the bits I put in being that I used brown for live, whereas red or black is more common. Brown is perfectly permissible though and everything was done to French normes (though I later realised there is one “naughty” bit where I forgot to make good a temporary join which is now behind some tiles, oops.

If you are implying that using T&E prior to brexit[sic] would have been permitted, I believe that you are misinformed. The use of T&E has always been not permitted. The earth conductor is under sized and therefore has never been permitted, certainly not in the seventeen years that I have been in the electrical business in France

My understanding is that if the whole installation was done conformant to any member state’s standards then it would be permitted/legal in any other member state.

So, if absolutely everything was done to BS7671 it would be legal (and that would include T+E).

Otherwise yeah, you are correct, T+E is not permitted per NF C 15-100

Bit academic now though :slight_smile:

Edit: But as I said, would anyone be mad enough to try to do everything to BS7671, even if - technically - it would have been permitted?