Top winter destinations in France

Paris??? may i throw this in here please.. i am bringing my daughter over for four days jan 11th to 15th and wondered if anyone has any particular fond memories of places to eat, stay visit....(neither of us eat meat!!) thank you

Nick, cross the border and German markets are better and also far greater value for money than the Alsace ones or most others in France and there are literally hundreds - Berlin alone has over 60 now. Chatel sounds just like I would look for!

We went to the pretty resort of Chatel one winter. It's just inside the French border with Switzerland, in fact you can ski into Switzerland to have a morning coffee (and kuchen). Chatel is a small old-fashioned ski resort town with excellent restaurants and a couple of good apres ski bars. It has access to the Porte-du-Soleil which is the largest ski area in France. I don't like the purpose built ski resorts with their huge concrete tower blocks. Chatel is more traditional and a bit like an Austrian village resort. In a couple of weeks time we're going to Mulhouse and Colmar for the Alsace Christmas markets which I'm told are the best in Europe.

Alpine region, perhaps even near Mont Blanc to remember younger years and when I tried mountaineering (as against rock climbing of which I did a lot).

If French mainland? Collioure for a long weekend, front street balcony view at Les Templiers...I left Scotland to get away from the snow...

For me, it has to be Cauterets in the Pyrenees, stunning beauty of the National Park, superb ski runs with uncrowded slopes, a lovely town full of charming restaurants, great cafes and bars and now a new luxurious thermal spa to relax aching muscles in after a long day skiing!

@ Lisa I will do have moved to France 4 years ago from SA.and love France very much.

I won't be holidaying thsi winter, because my work is seasonal, but I wouldn't give my haute Savoie winter for anywhere else. I work in a hotel in La Clusaz. No snow yet, but we open on the first. Would love a trip somewhere warm just for a weekend. Moving here directly from Australia was hard, with Xmas dinner being a BBQ to suddenly being plunged into metres of snow.

@Tony looks a very nice place indeed but I do love skiing although not on the cards this year as we are in the middle of renovation work on next door, may get a weekend of skiing:)

Yep Pyrenees skiing although may be a good idea to wait till they have snow as they have delayed the openings!!!! Well snow does always help in a ski resort :)

My holiday will be next year Feb.not in France but Sunny South Africa for two weeks with my Family.