Tractor Problems

I used to do that with my MGB, although it was the hide hammer for the wire wheels.

1 Like

The townsfolk were gathered expectantly in the pump building - the engine hadn’t run in months and the dry season was fast approaching. More and more illustrious engineers had been called only for each to walk away scratching their heads.

Finally there was no option - the designer of the engine was called, at great expense, from far away to see if he could breath life into the great machine.

Magnificently he walked up the path, looked at the contraption, walked around it, whistled and - withdrawing a small hammer from his coat pocket - proceeded to tap, lightly, on the side of the machine.

He beckoned to the caretaker to start the monstrosity; incredulous and sceptical though the man was he pushed the starter button and the pump sprang into life.

A great cheer went up and the townsfolk rejoicing, urged the great man to send his invoice for the work.

When it duly arrived it bore just one item

To: Repair of pump engine - $10,000

Aghast the mayor wrote to the designer protesting that he had done so little, just a small tap with a hammer - how could he justify charging such an extraordinary amount and asked that he re-submit a more detailed invoice.

This arrived swiftly, now with two lines

To: Hitting of pump engine with hammer - $1
To: Knowing where to hit it - $9,999

4 Likes

Another old chestnut.

1 Like

But the old ones are the best! :wink:

1 Like

Over the years there have been quite a few posts on various expat forums from people who have drawn plans for their dream house but need ‘an architect to sign them off’. I’ve always felt that they’re hoping to have to pay the $1. My son who took seven years to qualify would agree with Paul’s designer’s opinion.

2 Likes