Travel Advice For The UK - Has Anyone Been....? (Indian recipes added)

We had a “person-who-does” in London, when I was very little… Mrs Barfoot… a kind, motherly-soul…I’ve never forgotten her, although I have no idea why she disappeared from our lives. :thinking:

Could it be…

Image result for grumpy old woman

3 Likes

Good day …oh hang on wrong dialect, i think Kent is dobry dzień these days.

euros will be fine in a few establishments , be wary of those asking for £ sterling.

most hotels will speak polish, spanish, or eastern european and english, so should be ok there.

hmmm beware of wearing what you describe, they may take you for an eccentric englishman, and put an extra 30% on the bill.

Other than that , should be plain sailing. :smiley:

1 Like

If they don’t seem to understand you, just talk more slowly and much much louder :grin:

7 Likes

There I was walking down Tunbridge Wells high street this morning, full of the joys of life, said ‘good morning’ to two passers by - well… you’d have thought I was going to mug and kill them!!! So tip of the day when travelling to the UK is - don’t make eye contact or talk to anyone unless you want to be sectioned!! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:upside_down_face::grin::grin: my daughter gives me a strict talking to, when we visit her in UK… do not walk down the street with a big smile on your face… do not greet strangers… do not give money to beggars… :roll_eyes::upside_down_face::sob:

4 Likes
1 Like

@anon54681821 Just click your fingers and dance.thanks harry that was great for a sunday morning

1 Like

ys i love masterchef and it always makes me smile

1 Like

Yes Simon, i know where you are coming from.
This is endemic almost everywhere in the UK ( well England), with certain exceptions.

1. small villages
  2. out walking a dog and pass another dog & owner … it is usually ok to say something.
  3. watching sport it is usually ok to turn and comment to a stranger.
  4. if you are walking with a female, it seems ok to pass a good morning to others.

Guys walking on their own are usually ignored or looked at with suspicion; if they say anything it almost compounds it… A sad state of affairs when the looks given you , are either deemed a 1. a crook, 2. escaped from a home, 3 a molester, 4 a flasher … unless you know who you are talking to.

It makes you feel like a 2nd class person after a while, and not bother to engage with anyone. I had this for a period of time in Milton Keynes where i lived for a period of time…until i went on the same walks with my now partner…and all of a suddent people would actually say good morning or hello back…
that says it all really.

2 Likes

Just back from ‘overseas’ and will update with Indian recipes once I’ve recovered - I could write a book! :wink:

4 Likes

So glad “they” let you back in… :relaxed::relaxed::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Following my little jaunt overseas - please see the links below if you’d like to try out one of Rosemary Shrager’s Indian recipes - I’ve scanned some of the ones we tried out at her cookery school. Had a complete blast and she was amazing - with a very firm grip as you can see from the pic :-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Saag Aloo

Lamb Rogan Josh

Chicken Tikka / Mint Sauce

Some of her top tips:

Always heat spices in a dry pan before adding them to any recipe - cold spices added to any dish simply don’t release their full flavour.

Never add spices to an Indian dish once liquid has been added - always add them at the ‘dry’ stage. Add herbs shortly before serving.

To begin cooking - always fully heat your dry pan before adding oil.

Use vegetable oil for Indian cookery - it burns at a much higher temperature than rapeseed or olive oil. In her experience in India - veg oil was much more prevalent than ghee.

Chopped garlic / ginger keeps really well in a fridge if mixed with a little veg oil.

Leave meat to cook in the pan - don’t fiddle with it!

‘Layering’ of the ingredients is very important in Indian cookery - don’t just chuck it all in.

Don’t keep dried spices for more than 12 months - chuck them and replace - they deteriorate.

9 Likes

Thanks for the recipes Simon, pleased You enjoyed You’re trip, will print out and try those and the tips. :+1:
Btw, you make a lovely couple :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Looking forward to it. I hope you have some bread recipes too? :yum::stuffed_flatbread:

Yep - Naan - just need to scan and I’ll put it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant, I have yet to make a decent Naan :slight_smile: And I love them!

Here you go - we had lots of ‘bits’ to add and personalise our Naan’s - essentially anything you fancy !

Naan

5 Likes

Great cheers, trying that tomorrow :slight_smile:

I use this method for naans, and have had good feedback from other on them so not just me that thinks they’re good… similar recipe but the stronger flour and nigella seeds add depth.

1 Like