Travel advice Paris/Ile de France

Edited - I was looking at July!

Pete,
Iā€™ve sent you a PM.
Wozza.

1 Like

Looks like train line was ill-Informed. Their on-line booking bot reported all trains out of GdN after 1415 either unavailable (? all seats taken) or cancelled. I reckoned the 1415 to Creil was cutting it too fine as Eurostar arrived at GdN at 1350, so if there were any delay weā€™d be stuck in Paris with our car in Creil. I suppose there might be a bus, butā€¦ :unamused:

What about Transilien Ligne H, the regional train network, from Creil to GdN

Hereā€™s screen shot of info for 4th June

And to return

1 Like

Thanks very much, Jane. The search engines I used were hopeless or Iā€™m hopeless about using search engines, possibly both.

Iā€™ve had an extremely kind offer from Wozza that I shall put to La Goblette and see what she thinks. Itā€™s rather short notice to be making these arrangements but Berlina has only just been able to get a seat on Eurostar, and acts always on her urgent intuitions which we both trust.

Thanks for taking the trouble over this, itā€™s a great help. I may well use the information you gave me. My only concern is do I make an online reservation or take pot luck on getting a seat on the train on the day? Itā€™s not going to be cheap however it happĆ© s and its not a very good time of the month to have to fork out for diesel, tolls and trainfares. But it will be worth it to have her back home :heart::house_with_garden::hugs:

1 Like

Normally with transilien trains you buy your ticket there and then at a machine in the station, but I donā€™t know whether the current rules are suspended because of the virus. I do know you will need an attestation if travelling in rush hour. Here is the basic info about tickets for them,

https://www.transilien.com/fr/page-editoriale/le-ticket-origine-destination

I can look into it further tomorrow if you need, bit itā€™s my bed time now.

Yes but Pontoise because it is 66km less driving and he can get the Transilien directly to the GdN

Only 299km Sourdeval to Pontoise instead of 365 argh no it is RER C and you would have to change. Sorry :persevere:

1 Like

Yup, @vero I misread the distances and read the travelling time, Creil is a very long drive and I have had wise counsel from Wozza not to attempt it. Thanks for your willingness to help. :heart:

Do you have a plan? As tell us if you need more research for planning your rescue mission,

Peter, I glanced at this thread earlier and have been thinking of it for a while. I donā€™t have an answer, only a question. My first thought was a taxi as that is exactly what I would do but you dismissed that so quickly. My question is that why do you think that a round trip in a taxi is more of a threat to two elderly people than using public transport, especially when one of the people has already travelled hundreds of miles and has walked through several stations?

As I pointed out, David, my wife has anxieties about being confined in a small space which she canā€™t be confident has not been disinfected since the last occupant travelled in it.

I might not personally be as fastidious about the taxi journey as she, but I put my wifeā€™s concerns above my own insouciance in the matter and with no hesitation whatsoever.

I think most husbands would do the same for their spouseā€™s peace of mind. As also mentioned, my wife is a very experienced nurse who has worked in the tropics and is very familiar with the risks of contagion, so why would I not trust her judgement?

I respect that I was only thinking that my judgement was to avoid stations and public transport as much as possible. We are all different.

1 Like

Good job weā€™re all different Peter, Iā€™d say to my wife ā€˜see you at homeā€™. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hmmm - I couldnā€™t get away with that - but after so many weeks I wouldnā€™t want to. I think I would cycle if needed!

I still get told to go outside and play and not to come back before teatime! :unamused:

2 Likes

Which is exactly what my OH said to me when I came back from UK in March! Sadly the final bus service wasnā€™t running so he did come to get me from local stationā€¦

Got to ask, any news from Peter or is he still going round and round the Peripherique? :grinning:

Iā€™ve been wondering when weā€™d hear. Hope all is wellā€¦

(we went round and roundā€¦ years agoā€¦ Oh look, says Iā€¦ thereā€™s a block of flats with that painting effect just like we saw a while agoā€¦ ooops. :hugs:)

1 Like