Try your hand at navigating the Suez canal

My FiL worked in Marine Insurance with a respected London Lloyds Marine broker before he retired, (as well as being a “name” at Lloyds) but sadly I can’t ask him now :frowning_face:

@David_Spardo the other thing to consider David, is that a detailed flight plan is a requirement for airways and that as well will give significant clues as to what to expect in the air from ATC but you need to be aware that ATC can (and sometimes do) change the plan mid flight to accommodate other things going on at the time so you do need to keep up an ever watching brief. No wandering off to chat with the trolley dollies for a sandwich and cup of tea whilst the AP is on :wink: (not with SP operations, anyway).
My longest flight in a SEPA was 8 hours in airways and that required immense concentration!

@graham. Ha ha, first time I have heard of my wife being described as a ‘trolly dolly’, nowadays, as it is me that does all that, would I be a ‘buttie truckie’?

Back in those far off pre-Microsoft days, the original Flight Simulator was remarkably advanced in its reality but only had the State of Illinois to fly in. My computer was in a darkened bedroom lit only by the eerie green glow of my Amstrad, very realistic I thought. I would plot a course from say, O’Hare, to a distant aerodrome in the south of the state preferably at night. Then on several visits culminating close to my ETA I would be delighted to see the ‘drome’ lights appear on the distant horizon and take over control to land impeccably. :joy:

Many years later, after the MS takeover, the variety of aircraft to fly, and places in the world to fly them, widened considerably and I flew from my home in Nottingham to a strip just up the road from here, checking at exactly the right moment as I left the Channel coast. Later still I flew all over and around Sydney, marvelling at the places I had known and at all of the changes made since my life there.

Exhilerating. I even took off with a 747, faultlessly into the sky and didn’t make a bad shot at landing it too. Sadly I hadn’t read the page (well I never read any pages really) about what to do once all the wheels were on the tarmac and, not knowing about reverse thrust and braking, careered off the end of the runway and demolished several small buildings that were in my way. :laughing:

I often thought about flying for real but my one great failing is that I don’t trust anybody else to have my safety in their hands. Thus, no flying lessons for me and, I was very proud of myself to allow the BSM to train me to pass the car test. If I had had to take an HGV test I would never have become a lorry driver, but, happily, I pre-dated the need to do so having ‘grandfather rights’ long before I became a grandfather. :laughing:

1 Like

When Jim travelled to London every day the 'dolly on the trolley, had his place ready with the paper, orange juice, coffee and biscuits.
Have you heard this, the dolly on the trolley, the dragon on the wagon and the tart on the cart?

1 Like

Don’t know about the Dolly, or the Tart, but I’m definitely living with the Dragon on the Wagon. And one that doesn’t have wheels either. :wink: :laughing:

just give her a drink and be done with it… :smile:
A small sherry might do it!

Sadly, a small sherry or anything else alcoholic would set us both back 15 years. :frowning_face:

But I have a guilty secret (safe because she is internet illiterate and has no sense of smell), I gave up too in support but gin is colourless and indistinguishable from tonic. :wink:

1 Like

Seems to be the trend David. I gave up after my stroke and V followed suit (to make it easier for me o stay on the wagon) but V hates Gin anyway :wink:

When she came out of the 10 days in hospital she insisted that I continue with a glass of wine with my dinner. I resisted because I knew the temptation would be too great. Eventually I gave in and it was ok for a while but then came the day when she said ‘I suppose I could have just one’. The start of the slippery slope, it soon became 2 and then more so I banned alcohol from the house altogether.

But at regular dinners with friends I accompanied her with water while they drank wine, and rather a lot of it, and our friends brought me a tonic when they had their G&Ts beforehand. It was then that it was realised that a gin could be slipped in my tonic and no-one would know. :wink:

This is what my friend says.
‘Not heard that much about the Evergreen ship apart from what’s been on the news. With pilots on board the master is usually still responsible. The ship is “To master’s orders and to pilot’s advice” but in one or two places the pilot takes over responsibility. Not sure if that includes Suez though. The ship will still get hammered.’
By the way my friend is also a Merchant Marine Captain who went into insurance after retiring from sea.

Thanks Jane, pretty much my line of thought then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lidl. “middle isles” empty. …still yesterday

Yes, nothing exciting. But I bought a knife/clippers/drill bit sharpener for 19.99 anyway. Nice compressor coming next week for 109, but I bought a similar one six weeks ago. The new one is vertical and mine is horizontal, but even I can’t justify two compressors.

Aldi, set of Feffex 600mm SDS xl drills, set of 3 spirit levels and set of 25 metal drills, couldn’t resist :yum::laughing:

1 Like

Ever Given: Cargo ship that blocked Suez Canal arrives in Felixstowe

You’ve taken me down memory lane.

I was at school for just one term, in Felixstowe… can’t believe how the docks have evolved to accept this goliath.