Trying to save an old stable - planning application help needed!

Hi Sally, not in your area, however we asked our Maire about what type of application we needed to submit, and this was confirmed by the dessinateur en batiment that he recommended to us. The dessinateur submitted the déclaration préalable to the Mairie, and saw it through for us until we got the authorisation des travaux. It was a lot easier than we feared, and are now at the stage of declaring the project completed. btw we did contact an architect who wanted to charge us the earth to do the same. Bonne chance

Sally
Hi. As I understand it up to 170m2 grd flr area you can submit the drawings but over that you met get architect to prepare drawings and submit. Beforehand visit Marie and ask them if either a DECLARATION or CERTIFIATE D,URBANISME will suffice which I believe is form filling with no drawings needed.
Please tell me…what do you mean by the FRENCH EQUIVALENT TO BUILDING REULATIONS please? I cannot find any info on this and have been told it does not exist? How did you select your builder and has he a SERIT number etc?
Thanks. Michael.

Hi Sally

I think as it's change of use you'll need to engage an architect and apply for the 'full' permission. Where in the Charente-Maritime are you? I know of several bilingual architects in the Saintes/Jonzac/Montendre area if that's any help.

Regards

Val

Hi Sally, i can't help you to find a mr fix it.. but if you contemplate going it alone with a Préalable.. you might find this document of some assistance to fill in al the required fields.. and what they expect in an application.. it was invaluable to me during my application to build a new extension for a new kitchen..

http://www.biesheim.fr/dynamic/documents/urbanisme/guide_dp.pdf

hope it's of some help

regards

Bob williams

Thanks to you both: we shall be doing most of the work ourselves, and whilst not changing the footprint/exterior radically (except for windows), will want to convert it to living accommodation as we have no large animals and it's close to the existing house.

I thought, therefore, that more than a declaration préalable is needed,due to utilities being required from the existing services. (Veluxes and reopening old bricked-in windows were a different matter!) Our builder was very helpful in submitting the DP for those, but I understood 'proper' drawings were needed for the full planning application? (I can prepare an amateur scale plan and approximate post-restoration elevations, if that's enough.)

Our maire is very helpful, it's just the language that's a bit of a problem when we get into 'technicalities'. So if anyone has gone through this successfully in our area with perhaps an architect/other professional, it would be great to hear from them. Otherwise I shall gird my loins and head down to the Mairie with my dictionnaire and a large bottle of cognac!

Christian - many thanks also for the link: I'm sure, given time, I can work out which bit to download!

(Catherine - I'll also try to add my name properly.)

Regards

Sally

I forgot to mention that I did apply for a déclaration préalable and it is quite easy (I think this is what you need, not a full permis de construire.

If you are in a little village, the person in charge will probably help you (by calling the Direction de l'Equipement on your behalf...)

Hi Sally

Can you add your first name to your profile please? Thanks!

To answer your question, you can submit your planning application yourself - it's not that tricky. My suggestion would be to go to your Mairie and ask them to help you complete the paperwork. The extra 'plus' on this approach is that if they have had a hand in your application it is much more likely to proceed smoothly. Good luck!

Hi Sally,

I cannot name the star you are looking for. You can submit a planning application by yourself as you are owner and "Maître d'ouvrage" (~Work master) or ask a contractor to prepare it for you as he is the "Maître d'oeuvre" (~Working Master).

In the case you don't plan to modyfy the structure of the stables or create a floor area of more than 20 m2 a simplified "declaration préalable" is necessary.

To see if your command of French is good enough to apply by yourself (you'll have to provide a plan and a sketcjed view of the building after restoration) download the form here : http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/download/telecharger-67-cerfa-13406-formulaire-de-permis-de-construire

Hope that will help.

Christian