Trying to unravel our french tax

Blimey quite a lot to get my head around going forward I see!

Not really Brian - itā€™s pretty straightforward, well documented and all online :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to know we arenā€™t planning to run a business or rental income at present. We hope to live off my pension income mainly but Iā€™m sure there will be time when David may take a job. And Iā€™m assuming there may be some taxes involved if we are considered to be farming but I will have to explore that. Iā€™m happy to contribute our tax contributions though I just need to know what they are really.

1 Like

Hi Brianā€¦ friends grow all their own fruit and vegā€¦ they have chickens (did have ducks as well) and they have 4 or 5 sheep. No taxes to pay for this sort of thing. The sheep just have to be tagged/registered and the local chasse do the necessary butchering as and when. The vet does come out if necessary, but they manage mostly on their own.

All their water is from the wellā€¦ which never runs dryā€¦ yippeeā€¦ so no
water bills (just using electricity for the pump).

Your property taxes will be low at the moment due to the condition of the buildings, but this will increase in line with renovations etc as and when. Also, there is a one-off tax to pay on gaining planning permission for improvements/renovations. Your Mairie will be a source of info, so make friends there asap. If you plan to use a caravan while working on the house, this will possibly need permissionā€¦ nothing onerousā€¦

If you discuss your housing future plans with the Mairie, you can check out the cheapest/easiest way of doing things (re bureaucracy )

Re Income Tax: At the moment, France takes into account any Income Tax paid in the UKā€¦ when deciding on our liability in France. Hopefully that will stay the same in the futureā€¦ but we really have to wait and see what the final outcome isā€¦ so no words of wisdom on this subject I am afraidā€¦ :thinking:

I did read on one of the other threads that Government pensions are not taxed in France they are exempt? If this is correct that could be a big help. As my pension is from the Civil Service Pension Scheme. So fingers crossed, itā€™s working out when it makes most sense to go. Works pretty gritty at the moment so France is becoming an ever more attractive proposition I have to say.

Brianā€¦

It is very important to understand that the French Income Declaration is a Declaration of Total Income (of whatever sort) from whereverā€¦

As I have saidā€¦ France takes into account any Tax already paid in UKā€¦ etc etc

If it helps. this link takes you to the French impot (taxation) site so you can simulate your tax liability.
Remember that you declare income fiscally January to December so if you use figures from 2018 you should get a good idea and also, if you are married, the figures for each part are added together.

No Iā€™ve got that Stella we have to declare ALL income regardless of source. Pensions, earned monies, bank or saving interest, investments etc. Iā€™ll probably ask more about the actual declaration once we move. I believe Iā€™m right in saying we donā€™t have to make a declaration until we are resident permanently is that correct?

Tax year runs Jan to Dec, so you make your declaration in arrears - so after the first December you have been resident. Tax forms are often not issued until May and then you have about 6 weeks to submit. But all quite straightforward. And you declare your civil service pension, and the tax paid in the Uk and it is credited. You need to do this so you have an accurate revenue fiscal reference (ie total income) which is the thing they will look at to check you have enough income to be considered legally resident.

Do you have a septic tank? As otherwise may have to pay an element of the water bills.