Tuner satellite HD

Tuner satellite HD

If you buy a new TV in France with a Tuner satellite HD can you use it to connect direct to freesat or Astra

That sounds OK to me so long as your dish is aligned correctly.

You might need to check that the Sat tuner isn’t locked into one particular satellite though, as there are 2 main competing systems for French satellite TV - FRANSAT and TNTSAT (Canalsat), and they point to different satellites.

If possible, you should get a TV without any particular satellite linking restrictions:

TNTSAT (provided by Canalsat) uses the Astra satellites (at 19.2°E Astra1 group and 28°E Astra 2 group)
FRANSAT uses Eutelsat group (at 5°W)

Only the most easterly oriented satellites at 28.2E (Astra 2 group) carry the UK TV Freesat signals, as far as I remember.

EDIT : Basically, if it says Fransat on the tin, don’t buy it, as otherwise you’ll only get French (and Spanish / Arabic) TV channels !

Also note that Satellite transmission speeds are not as fast as are ground-antenna 4G. If you can find one in your area. And the place to look is here: https://www.ariase.com/mobile/carte-couverture-mobile

Joe Bloggs - really! What’s your real name?

2 Likes

Did anon89748378 post to the wrong thread ? What has satellite TV reception got to do with 4G coverage ?

I don’t think so (the user has been removed anyway so not able to respond Alex). I believe he was making a general perhaps casual comparison to using 4G as opposed to slower transmission speeds from satellites within context.

1 Like

I agree with Graham

It’s not necessarily correct though - satellite internet goes up to 100Mbps - well, I found one supplier in the US who claims 100Mbps in “selected areas”, but bigblu operate in France and offer 50Mbps, it’s the cost, usage caps and latency that hit you more than the raw speed.

1 Like