Two properties one plot, two properties two plots

We have built a new house on our land on our own land on which also stands our original house. We now have two houses on the same plot of land. What are the advantages/disadvantages (taxes etc) of splitting the two properties completely with their own individual plots of land (which is very easy but would involve a notaire etc.) or keeping them both on the one plot of land?

Yes, on that last bit we are struggling to get one or maximum two artisans who are on the 'list' to do our work at present in order to get our subsidies and tax concessions. Basically, on all of these issues you now need to go to the department's finance office to discuss what is possible and what is not. Unfortunately taxes are beginning to be centralised to Montpellier from where less than no information seems to be available. It is hard work and I wish you well getting answers, we did it by tenacity and patience rather than anything else.

Thanks. I went to our local Tresor Publique but they were of little help as they are only there to receive payments. So I will go to the larger one and talk to them. I am prepared to fight to prove our property is of a far higher specification than the Norme even if it means paperwork if we can receive a reduction on the Taxe Foncier. We gave our accountant details of internal works done by tradesmen to receive credit for them but that was only on the geothermal heating and stove insert as my husband did the rest of the work himself and I believe you need proof that an enterprise has done the work.

My OH sells property, so works with several notaires and has learned quite a lot. Our own house was extended in the 1960s, so is on two plots, touching a third we are just in the process of buying. The fiscal authorities are not interested in plots as such but the sum total of what is taxable on the plots that make up a property. In the case, as she has had of gîtes on separated plots from the primary house, then they are fiscally separated properties.

There are géometres in the yellow pages, you should choose the nearest one, they have 'territories' but actually there is no hard and fast rule, especially if you seem to be between two or more. As for the discounts, it seems so but the paperwork is awe inspiring if the stuff we are having to deal with for using eco materials for work on the house and getting the subsidies and tax concessions is anything to go by.

Thanks for that information Catherine. I am going to the local tax office to discuss it but I suspect I will have to venture to a larger tax office to get some answers. We may be ok because our original house stands on its own plot on the cadastre though the garden and pool extend beyond that boundary. Where do you find a geometre? I think if it saves confusion then that is as good as saving money! I have read that we may also be able to put off paying anything for five years if it is ecological enough and our particular department gives discounts for that, so I will be asking about that too.

Both taxes are on one bill but with sub ref nos for each house, hence the confusion. Tax foncière is more expensive as they see that we have one house with multiple bathrooms etc which puts it into a higher rate category than if they did it as one 2bed house and one 3bed house!

That is interesting that tax foncière is more expensive as I would it would be divided between the three houses each of which has their own taxe d'habitation.

We have 3 houses on our plot of land and it is a nightmare regarding taxes as we rent them so the tax office keep getting them confused! We are also charged tax foncière as though it is one house which makes it more expensive. We have just got the geometre in to mark out the boundaries and officially separate the property into 3 plots on the plan cadastral. No notaires needed and once we have the cadastral plan updated we can get the taxes sorted so that each house has its own reference number!