Two Wheels - checkups available

Perigueux, Sarlat, Bergerac

Is that on biles or rider’s mentality stella :rofl:

2 Likes

always a pleasure to banter with you Graham… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In recognition of my advancing years I have downsized from this…

to this… 2018 Honda Monkey Bike 1

:roll_eyes:

But at least it has ABS :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know which one I prefer. :slight_smile:

I used to own one of these beauties until we bought our first house. A bike for real roads. Worth a pretty penny these days. I still dream about my Ducatis.

1 Like

Stopped for a photo opportunity next to Lake Maggiore last August. It’s hard to believe that less than 24 hours before it had been pouring with rain, zero visibility and 6°C while crossing the Simplon pass from Switzerland over into a Italy. Just to rub it in crossing the Saint Gotthard two days later was in exactly the same conditions.

Ducati 900SS
@MichaelL Bought the house and kept the Duke.

stevies bock
And built this baby in the meantime.

1 Like

The monkey¨! I know i do.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful looking Moto Guzzi. I used to go to the International V-Twin Rally in Shaftsbury Dorset - the town where they filmed the Hovis tv advert with the lad pushing his delivery bike.
There was all manner of wonderful Italian exotica, (other bikes too). People came from all over Europe.
The Town Cryer would assess the bikes for concours awards after we had all completed a circuit around the town. It was one of few places in England bikers were felt to be really welcome. I found my 900ss to be a very good touring bike. People were shocked though to see it fitted with panniers!

1 Like

If I wasn’t old and decrepit (well, older anyway) I’d buy a Ducati Multistrada. The Harley was just an aberration, a moment of madness.

1 Like

:joy: We all make mistakes ( he wrote inviting the wrath of HD owners). Everyone to their own. After a moped I had a lovely Yamaha RD200, then a Kawasaki Z1B beautiful, powerful but frighteningly poor handling and brakes. I then bought a Ducati 900GTS and something clicked for me. Not pretty but solid and well built. The bevel desmo Supersport was the dream but I had no garage and it was suffering. A local biker group were poorly behaved and we had to travel further and further to find welcoming publicans. It would have been an investment. I would consider buying a Multistrada in France. Bit easier on the back.

1 Like

Definately, we all make mistakes. I started with RD 250, sleeved to 350 and the 6th gear pin removed, onto a Norton 850 MkIIa, Z1 and then Z1000. In between came the RD500 and the RG 500 before i was brought to my senses when i test rode the Duke. Still have the old girl now and she cant be sold as the OH has said so. My mistake was selling the others. The RD/RG and the Norton are worth small fortunes now.

My first bike was a Yamaha 125 AS1, surprisingly fast when you’re sixteen and weigh nothing. Still have a few scars from those days. Then a Yamaha 180. I’ve all ways had a penchant for two strokes. A Kwaker 350 or 400 would be a nice classic to have or even a Suzuki 750 kettle. A pal of mine used to race back in the UK and his bike had a Barton frame and a kettle motor.

We used to spend warm evenings outside a country pub. An early Kawasaki 500 or maybe 350 triple owner often performed his party trick. The noise was incredible - a cacophony of tin cans being rattled best described the din and then he would gun it down the road mainly on the rear wheel. Astonishing spectacle. I would probably scowl now!

A long time friend of mine had one, 16 ltr tank under the seat and 25 to the gallon. But a fantastic ride even by todays standards. But not anywhere near the Duke.

2 Likes

Yes, a mixture of exhaust baffles and rings rattling. When I was about fourteen or fifteen the Kawasaki importer in Ireland was, bizarrely, in a mews in a very expensive part of town as was my dentist. I used sit in his waiting room and watch and listen to the mechanics road testing (flat out) the pre triple bikes, the 250 Samurai and 350 Avenger.

I have a soft spot for that type of Honda, I passed my test on an ST70.

1 Like