UK car exportation without V5c Unable to get a control technique done

Okay, how would the insurers know that the vehicle is not legal?

Hi Tim…

If there is an accident (certainly here in France)… forms have to be filled in… details given etc etc… and through this… it would doubtless come to light…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Insurers do not pay out, just like that…

You mean like the fact that permanent residents vehicles have to be French registered and 0000’s ARE NOT!!!

Tim… I know what you are talking about… it drives me mad too…

I know of folk who boast about running SORN cars here… who boast about dodging this and dodging that…just to save a few pounds or just for the hell of it.

As I say… come the time of an Accident … all bets are off… and sadly, such folk may well find out the hard way… just how stupid they have been.

Will it matter to whom exactly?

In effect folks running SORN’d cars in France are avoiding paying the registration tax, they’re avoiding being held accountable for speeding fines and other traffic offences. To take it to extremes - if you live in France and keep your Bentley registered in the UK and run up debts with the state, the state won’t be able to register a charge against your car; you’ll avoid it being taken into account if the tax office decide to look into your lifestyle and income…
So yes people stand to gain in all kinds of ways from breaking French law and not registering their car here.
Do you think any of that that matters at all?

Despite the law being very clear could anyone tell me why countless insurers here are willing to continue to insure UK reg’d vehicles? Surely they themselves are knowlingly encouraging their clients to flout the law?

I’d have thought that was pretty obvious - because it’s more money for them.
It used to be countless insurers willing to do this, but I think you’ll find it’s down to a handful these days. They keep doing it because they see it as a niche market. Most insurers give you a temporary sticker for one month; if you haven’t got your carte grise by then and you go back and explain the problem they’ll usually extend it by another month; but after that they’re likely to lose patience and cancel the policy. Not many will give you a sticker for a full year these days until they have all the correct paperwork from you.

I had a conversation about this with my insurance agent (MMA) several years ago when the crackdown started. He said that the way MMA work is, if one of their agents has clients on their books with incomplete documentation (ie for car insurance, if the agent doesn’t have a copy of the carte grise etc), head office gives them a black mark for not following good practice and in extreme cases, imposes sanctions. It’s up to the agent whether they prefer to do things by the book and have no black marks against them even if it means being more restrictive in accepting clients, or if they don’t care about the black marks and just want to pull in as much business as possible for their own profit.

It made sense to me.

There’s an agent in Dordogne who actually makes this his USP, he advertises on anglo forums and specifically states that he doesn’t fuss about re-registration. How blatant can you get?

@Anna but that’s the thing, my insurer (Allianz) gave me a certificate for a year, I didn’t ask for it just arrived in the post. To be honest I was a bit shocked because they are normally a stickler for everything.

Fair enough but at the end of the day, the onus is on you to do the right thing. Many insurers are more rigorous but they have no legal obligation. You must have just happened to pick an easy-going one.

I’m currently also with Allianz but I can’t comment on whether or not my agent would do the same with a UK reg car because the car I insured with them wasn’t from the UK. However they do seem to be a bit slack because when they issued the sticker for the second year, they hadn’t updated the change of registration, even though I had given them a copy of the new carte grise with the new number on it. I haven’t bothered because I don’t suppose it matters, it’s the same car, but I would prefer to have been sent a sticker with the correct registration number on it. So I’m not sure I would describe Allianz as sticklers, or not my agency at least.

In my own experience… Insurers will extend the insurance… so long as they can see that the client is making a real effort to get the vehicle registered here in France.

On one occasion, I was called in (by the Insurers) to help a Brit who was having problems getting his car registered .

I did everything I could… but he always had a good reason (excuse) for not getting things done.

Insurers were understanding/helpful but after 18 months they gave him an ultimatum and some months later they finally cancelled his Insurance altogether. I’ve no idea what he did after that… I kept my distance.

If all you folk don’t cool it… I am going to hide the Posts that I consider to be “unfortunate” …shall we say…

I reckon this Thread has run its course…

1 Like

Sorry Stella, think that’s censorship. Nothing offensive has been posted, and nothing “ad hominem”, (not yet anyway :zipper_mouth_face:).
If we can’t discuss real life things then what’s the point of being here?

Hi Mark…

Discussion is great… but on a friendly basis…

Frankly, this thread has been getting a little heated and there have been complaints.

Lock it then, but I think it should be up to the individuals involved whether they modify, or have removed, any “incriminating” posts.

Feel free to start a New Thread.

Anyone seeking an answer to the original question re UK car export etc… will find the answer here…

but they will not find the wrangle that later appeared.

2 Likes