UK driving licenses no longer valid in EU after Brexit?

All this talk of IDP’s being just a translation of your driving licence… What if you already have a relatively new UK photocard licence that has some 9 years to run? That already has hardly anything on it that needs translation - it is all numbers other than my name, address and country. All the numbers are in an EU recognised order on the card and the entitlements are in an EU recognised format too.

Surely, by the UK keeping the format of the driving licence the same as it is now we wont need IDP’s.

Or is that too obvious and easy? maybe I am missing a trick here…

Carl

Morning all

Excuse my ignorance , but what is an IDP, and if you need one how do you go about getting one ?

I only have an old paper license which expires in 2028.

Thanks
Andy

I think that the main trick you are missing is that there is any sanity in bureaucracy - if the rules wind up saying Licence+IDP then Licence+IDP it will be, however trivial it is to decode the information on the licence.

Other than that I agree entirely.

International Driving Permit - in the UK the Post Office issues them.

Thanks Paul

It’s not just driving licences that are at stake here with a no deal Brexit: would you like to browse this little gem. It concerns WITHDRAWAL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM AND EU RULES IN THE FIELD OF AIR TRANSPORT.

brexit-notice-to-stakeholders-aviation-safety.pdf

basically it’s saying and I quote, Certificates issued before the withdrawal date by the competent authorities of the United Kingdom on the basis of the provisions of the Basic Regulation and its
implementing rules will no longer be valid as of the withdrawal date in the EU.
The document goes on to detail all licences held for aviation Servicing, flying, air traffic control. In theory on Brexit day aircraft that are serviced in Britain can no longer fly over Europe and vice versa until re-certified; an example - Ryanair and Stobartair serviced in Britain. An interesting conundrum, this is all a bit mares nest, I feel the need to for real people to sort this not politicians. :slight_smile:

Are there any real people left in the yUK?
It’s all a myth. The whole country is now only populated by MAYbots and Mogites

That’s cherry picking Carl, with cakeist overtones. Total regularity alignment or no regularity alignment is the order of the day.

Well - picking up an old thread - I am hoping that we will not need them but we now have acquired our International Driving Permits to bring with us if necessary after 29 March.

Even in the case of no-deal I suspect that the French will probably just allow use of a UK license - at least for ordinary motorists and at least to start with.

Otherwise the only logical conclusion is that in the period immediately following Brexit the French would have to turn back thousands of drivers as they roll off the ferries as it is unlikely more than a few will have IDPs and so they would not be equipped to legally drive in France - I can’t actually see that happening.

That may be the case as far as the French authorities are concerned but…
Get hit by a UK licenced driver without the correct permit and you could find that the driver is regarded by his (her) insurer as driving illegally and thus will find it as grounds for not paying out on the policy…

1 Like

Funnily enough my wife suggested that very scenario.

As I said, we’ve got our IDPs :wink:

She and I on the same wavelength then Paul…

1 Like

All three of us I think :slight_smile:

We’re going to apply for IDP’s just in case and then wait and see what happens after the end of March.

Pretty much exactly our thinking.

Yes Paul, but she’s prettier than you :yum:

1 Like

I guess the other question to be asked is whether a French Permis is accepted (or rather will be) for driving in the UK post brexit.

1 Like

I thought IDP were only valid if you were a resident and using it for a holiday? Therefore you can’t be resident in France with a UK licence and have an IDP from the UK. That’s what it says in the rules and regs when you apply -so surely if you live in France you have fraudulently got a UK IDP?

I’m sure no-one has done anything fraudulent.

I think we are discussing the need (or not) for IDP, for use in which ever country one is NOT resident… :thinking:

Seems that UK folk can visit France with a “translation + DL”… or simply the IDP… and folk coming to Reside in France have 12 months to get the UK DL one changed to French.

Will UK insist that folk visiting from France have an IDP or not bother … ???

1 Like