UK driving licenses no longer valid in EU after Brexit?

That’s a bit much Sue! Who are you accusing of breaking the law?!

The rules say it for use " for tourism purposes" so if you apply for one when you reside in another country-what would you call it?

Sue is correct. A French resident can only apply for an IDP if they have a Permis de Conduire, they are not legally able to apply for one to support their U.K. licence.

David and @Sue_Young

I think we may be at cross purposes… I read Sue’s post as a reply to someone in particular. Rather than a question to the Forum in general.

and I have not seen anyone suggesting that a Brit in France is or will be applying for a UK IDP.

I will Stella as until my French licence comes through I don’t see that I have much choice, if I get stopped the gendarmes might ask to see my IDP, if I haven’t got one then what?

I’m fully aware of the rules regarding French residents having UK licences but like 0000’s of other Brits I kept mine and use a UK residence to renew, if people want to criticise me then so be it.

1 Like

Aha…

Fair enough Tim… thanks for being brave enough to clarify things…

(I thought you had been looking at it from a French angle… because that will surely have to be considered… or will UK allow visitors to simply use a “foreign” permit ?)

As I understand things the IDP may only be required immediately after Brexit IF there’s ‘no deal’, the UK has I think already said that it doesn’t intend to insist on EU nationals having one for now.

1 Like

Didn’t you read the link from the French Interior Ministry Tim? They make it clear exactly what will be required for residents and tourists in case of a no deal Brexit. A fraudulently acquired International Driving Permit is not one of the requirements. Why look for problems that do not exist?

Ha ha Tim… and we, who will NOT be EU nationals… ??? Gordon Bennett… it gets worser and worserer…

Do you honestly believe that every gendarme in France will be ‘au fait’ with the French Interior Ministry directive regarding UK licences?

That argument works both ways, if they are not up to date after March 29th they will accept a U.K. licence anyway.
Posts like yours are very confusing for people who want the facts. The French Interior Ministry is up to speed to cope with a no deal Brexit and has published what regulations will be in force. Why muddy the waters?

People can make their own decisions David based on the facts as they see them, I merely said what I intend to do, nothing more.

As an aside, the French Interior Ministry’s statement is at odds with the UK government’s advice IMO but you of course may think otherwise.:wink:

Personally I am more interested in what the French government is going to do in its country.
For the benefit of those people who are concerned; if you are a French resident you will be able to continue to use a UK licence after a no deal Brexit but you will have to exchange your licence for a permis de conduire within a year. Visitors will be able to use their UK licences in France too. A translation is mentioned but a U.K. photo card licence has exactly the same format as other EU licences.

Excellent, I can continue to use my ‘fraudulent’ UK licence for at least another year, that’s made my day.:grinning:

Your UK licence is (probably) not fraudelent as at present you are able to use your UK licence until it expires. It’s the acquisition of a IDP from the UK that’s residency based, a UK licence holder can only legitimately apply for one of those if they are a U.K. resident.

More extra paperwork - plus expense if there is a no-deal exit.

The EU commission has not confirmed that UK insurance will be recognised which will mean having to carry an insurance “green card” when driving on the continent.

An update as reported in The Connexion

The headline looks good - but read the detail.

There will be time limits and this only relates to folk actually living in France. Those of us who can only visit will still have to resort to the IDP.

Yes Carl, I did read it before I shared it. Just trying to keep people informed.

2 Likes

No criticism of you Mandy - honestly!

Just the headline itself :slight_smile:

1 Like