UK - Labour Leadership

Pleased to see Ed Milliband return as Shadow Business, Energy and Industrial Secretary - since he resigned as leader he has developed a strong record and reputation on environmental policy - including the green new deal.

Ahhh may the force be with you : the Starmtrooper list

Is there nothing these disgraceful people will stoop to in order to get back at Sir Kier Starmer?

1 Like

Yes, but Nadine Dorries has been, and, as far as I know still is a Registered Nurse.

So any dissection of her character must be undertaken in the Celestial Light of the Universal Truth that all nurses are amazing, heroic, selfless, unremitting in their utter round-the-clock devotion to all suffering beings, possessed of incredible skill and boundless compassion, and looking absolutely scrumptious with those big luminous eyes looking over face masks, their long blonde hair in scrunches as the march heroically and with proud heads held high into the Covid war-zone in their disgracefully scanty PPE, heedless of their personal safety.

So, Graham, rather than tossing brickbats at a gorgeous, demurely pouting but chaste angel, how about clapping and banging a chip-fryer, or sending a tin of Celebration sweeties to treat her in the traditional British Way that nurses just love, a ‘chocolate kiss’ to pop behind the mask, and to suck, fighting back their tears of gratitude?

1 Like

Oh Dear

1 Like

She was the MP for our area, and was a nasty bit of work.

2 Likes

There, there, Eddie dear. Nurse Nadine will kiss it better! :kissing_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiley:

You have a very strange attitude to nurses considering you apparently used to be one

2 Likes

@Peter_Goble I don’t see how her being a nurse impacts on her dreadful performance as a Government minister - she all but broken the Ministerial Code, recognised by her own Chief Whip who had admonished her.
As an either serving or “has been” nurse, I could take her more seriously if she had been banging Handoncock’s head on the Cabinet Room table demanding better PPE for all nurses in both the NHS and the care sector but there is no evidence she has done that.
Her career as a politician seems to take precedence and that is shameful.

3 Likes

I’m just having an extravagant dig at the extravagant way nurses are lauded to the sky, when I know that to most nurses it is an embarrassment to be described as “amazing”, when what we do is just a job we like doing, it gives great satisfaction, just as a capable cabinet maker or builder gets great satisfaction out of her work, a job well done.

The Kiwi woman who nursed BoJo regarded what she did as ‘just another day at the office’ or some such phrase, and that’s about it. And the comradeship and dark humour is a bonus, like in the armed services and the police, fire-fighters etc.

But for most nurses it’s just a job, and one we really enjoy. That is reward enough, not many jobs deliver as much, we’re very lucky. Nothing amazing about that IMO.

1 Like

For a politician it’s normal. Not many people (especially women) climb the greasy pole to Westminster, and once there it’s a long way down and very rare a second bite at the cherry.

And although MPs don’t get the accolade of amazing angel, or gifts of sweets (they have to declare them, as nurses should) it’s a rewarding job (rewards are very hard won) and they enjoy the limelight, as do nurses.

There’s something akin to the world of theatre in nursing (and medicine). You’re in a role, you have to ‘dress up’, you have an unwritten script, and to an extent there is an audience, of which you have to be aware. I think most nurses are fully aware of this thespian/“stand-up” element to their role, but it is not much discussed (except perhaps in the mental health field).

So you have contradicted yourself in these consecutive posts. Make your mind up.are nurses doing it for the pleasure of the job (which most I know are) or do they like the attention?

You see contradiction where non exists Eddie, I fear. Those two elements are in no way contradictory, or incompatible.

Everybody likes attention, Eddie, even you, although I fully expect you to deny it, like you claimed never to be jealous. Never, Eddie? Pull the other one. Or are you actually a bot :robot:? :grinning:

Nadine Dorries trained as a nurse in the 70,’s. Her nursing career was relatively short and she has not been in nursing for nearly 40 years so highly unlikely she is still registered .

2 Likes

Oh yes Peter I like attention to a degree, not as much as some do but more than others Jealousy is a strange emotion I won’t deny that sometimes it’s easy to look at what someone else has and think how lucky they are ,but then when you find out more about their life you realise you are the fortunate one

1 Like

Oh and BTW Peter , when I said never I meant never jealous of someone whose French is better than mine, not that I was never Jealous. What a good memory you have I am jealous of that

2 Likes

I take your point, Poppy, and I was just being my sometimes sarky self about gorgeous pouting Nadine, but if anything it goes to show that inside the uniform and the professional poise we are all a bit of a dog’s breakfast when it comes to everyday life, and when you put on the uniform it’s a bit “Vesti la giubba” ('On with the greasepaint…") like i Pagliacci the broken-hearted clown of the famous opera.

Or not infrequently, '“the wounded healer”…

Or maybe we practised in very different worlds? :thinking::hugs:

Well she does write awful novels as well.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay. It’s not that opaque- I know several other lifetime Labour voters, like myself, who rejected Corbyn’s extreme Left politics & his affiliation to the likes of the IRA & Hamas. So, I obviously did not vote Labour at the last election but sacrificed my vote to the Greens. I still don’t trust the Party until there is clear & consistent evidence of having purged the anti- Semites & the radicals controlling Momentum. So, clearly a left of centre voter- rejoiced at New Labour in ‘97. And, all those Northern Labour supporters who also “ lost “ their vote were actually saying the same thing.

1 Like