UK tearing itself apart since Brexit vote!

1 - Conservatives, Labour both in turmoil. Prime Minister resigned. New leadership campaigns and still acting like packs of hounds!

2 - Where did the Liberal Democrats go?

3 - Have a look on YouTube at the interviews between Owen Jones and Yanis Varifoukis, the ex Greek finance Minister, what he has to say about their membership and dealings with the EC. That was very interesting and informative. I'm not making any political comments here specifically, because I like to watch and listen to all sides of an argument.

4 - A very informative, but disheartening watch on TV of the full council meeting this morning. Farage, unapologetic for the chaos wreaked and his determination to get the UK out of the EU, insulting even to the MEPS in the chamber.

5 - It even appears now that Nicola Sturgeon, despite fact she'll receive a warm welcome tomorrow in Brussels, will get the assurances she seeks - that Scotland would be able to remain in the EU if they vote to become an Independant country after a 2nd Referendum. Today it was made clear in the EU Parliament that would not be possible.

6 - None of the above will do our ex-pat reputations any good, France 'perceives' Scots, Irish, Welsh people, as English - not British! Well that's what I've found amongst my neighbours, wherever I've lived here. If we speak English, we ARE English, has been my experience.

7 - the following (no.8) was sent to me by Brian Cave who has worked tirelessly day in day out, to try and get Votes for all expats and to encourage you all, (as I did for many months on SFN) to at least register to vote and exercise that right, should the occasion arise, when your votes would have been essential and yes they would have counted last week, towards making a difference, not only to your bank accounts, pensions, investments, but to your right to remain!

Now I'll do what Farage did today!

I'll tell those of you who said, " this (France) is my home now - not interested - why should I" - plus many other comments similiar in nature - so didn't register and use their democratic right to do so - you tell me the answers! Are you still so confident now, without dual Nationality or Carte de Sejour which may not be sufficient anyway to guarantee your security?

Friends
The Liberal Democrats in Europe have asked me to circulate the attached message. If I receive a similar message from the other two parties I would also do that.

I have been criticized for circulating the petition indicated in the attached on the grounds that one should accept the democratic view of the people.
Would that the referendum was that democratic.
All of us who were excluded because we have lived abroad for more than 15 years were excluded. That is perhaps around one million citizens.
The sixteen to eighteen year olds were excluded. That referendum concerned them far more than me, an octogenarian.

All of these citizens can sign this petition.
As for the Liberal Democrat Party -- ever since the departure of Nick Clegg that party has been stalwart in giving support for a Votes-for-Life Bill in Parliament.
The Conservatives promised this Bill in the manifesto of the last election. In spite of various exhortations they have not. The Labour Party has been silent. Although their International branches support the idea.

Further it must be understood that no Referendum is binding. They are advisory to Parliament, which is supreme in making the law. Parliament has the final say.

A Professor of European Law has written in connection with the current situation in the following vein …..

“The Human Rights Convention was designed to make it possible to disregard and disapply abominable rules even if they had been enacted by a democratically elected government. That does not mean it is fair or acceptable to pay no attention to them but it is too facile to say that because a majority of the supposedly competent electors having voted that way it is therefore obligatory and fair to act as that majority feels.”

--

Brian Cave
le Fourquet, Gourdon, 46300, France

http://pensionersdebout.blogspot.com/

-Votes for Britons -http://votes-for-expat-brits.com

All of us who were excluded because we have lived abroad for more than 15 years were excluded. That is perhaps around one million citizens.
The sixteen to eighteen year olds were excluded. That referendum concerned them far more than me, an octogenarian.

All of these citizens can sign this petition.
As for the Liberal Democrat Party -- ever since the departure of Nick Clegg that party has been stalwart in giving support for a Votes-for-Life Bill in Parliament.
The Conservatives promised this Bill in the manifesto of the last election. In spite of various exhortations they have not. The Labour Party has been silent. Although their International branches support the idea.

Further it must be understood that no Referendum is binding. They are advisory to Parliament, which is supreme in making the law. Parliament has the final say.

A Professor of European Law has written in connection with the current situation in the following vein …..

“The Human Rights Convention was designed to make it possible to disregard and disapply abominable rules even if they had been enacted by a democratically elected government. That does not mean it is fair or acceptable to pay no attention to them but it is too facile to say that because a majority of the supposedly competent electors having voted that way it is therefore obligatory and fair to act as that majority feels.”

Brian Cave
le Fourquet, Gourdon, 46300, France

http://pensionersdebout.blogspot.com/

-Votes for Britons -http://votes-for-expat-brits.com