Underground street drainage check?

I have a house in a very small village and the street facing wall is very damp (as is the cellar in general; we’ve checked the gutter and roof but they are fine). We think that an underground drain running below the pavement might be cracked. Who do I contact to get this done please? The local Mairie hasn’t responded.

Then pester the Mairie again and again until they make contact, it’s their responsibility

1 Like

Hi Fiona and welcome to the Forum.

Please put your full name on your Registration as per our T&C’s.

If you are not sure how to do this… simply put your full name here and I will amend things for you.

Cheers

McKenzie.

1 Like

Hi Fiona

How have you been contacting the Mairie?? Have you been able to visit and discuss face to face ?

A letter addressed to the Maire - sent with proof of delivery - has to be given a response. Have you tried this ?

Hi John
Thank you. I’m interested to hear its their responsibility. It appears that the drain under the pavement in front of the house then runs into a storm drain running down past the side of the house. Plus theres no ventilation in the cellar either. This leads me to the next question, who could sort out and install ventilation, a builder or plumber? Any suggestions?

Hi thank you. No just email. I called today and they acknowledged the emails. Perhaps I should follow your suggestion.

As a rule, it pays to have something in writing, proof that they received it.

Incidentally, which part of France are we talking about ??

Sarthe region, near to La Chartre Le Loir. Thank you for your suggestions.

Agreed John, it’s their responsibility - if it is their drain that is faulty.

Friends with a similar damp problem, discussed with their Insurers - who took a look and, gently brought pressure on the Mairie.

In that case the problem was two-fold: badly laid concrete after road drain was mended way back when - which had allowed ingress and erosion (or whatever). The nub was that the Mairie got the work done and charged the contractor who had done badly, way back when.

Hi Fiona - you are too far away for me to give a hand in person.

However, a clear nonagressive letter, confirming today’s conversation and repeating the content of the emails will not be taken amiss - but does give solid basis for your quite-reasonable request for action of some sort on their part.

If, for whatever reason, they consider it nothing to do with them - they should tell you who IS responsible, at the very least.

Keep us up to speed with your progress.

Good luck.

Violia will usually have a drain camera available, but as previously mentioned, badger the mayor.

Bonne chance

Very interesting, we have a similar problem in our cave and the ground floor bedroom tends to have a damp smell!
We noticed this problem only started after our road, which runs just around our commune, was resurfaced a few years ago.

As it should be.

1 Like

Thank you all very much for your suggestions this afternoon. I will follow up and let you know.
Just to add, I am new on here and not the best at technology but I will persevere. Thank you.

Ha ha… Fiona - we don’t bite :wink::upside_down_face:

Always nice to welcome a new member.

Let us know if you need any more help - and, of course, let us know how things progress.

Each persons experience can perhaps help another along the way…

Our granite-walled house 1871 opens onto a pavement angled towards the point at which the pavement meets the wall, so the possibility of some run off seeping into the foundations and the cave is there, and there is some slight sign of interior damp there, but it is clearly historic, and not obviously rising.

Many similarly-situated houses in town have street-level apertures opening into the caves, often blocked off with a sheet of perforated zinc or a plank of wood, presumably to keep out litter, fallen leaves or stray cats, and for ventilation, but probably susceptible to the ingress of rain.

Our cave has two of these at pavement level, but the cave itself is dry. Perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky, as we get lots of rain here.