UPDATE: Divorce - "The Blame Game" - Law Reform

So much heartache in divorce… is there a better way ?

Never been there myself, but divorce by it’s very nature is usually confrontational.

occasionally one hears of an “amicable” divorce… :thinking:

As someone who’s been through it the biggest issue is not how long you have to wait to get the decree absolute but how long and expensive it is to reach a financial settlement that both parties can agree on.

Ghastly, by the sound of it… so, amicable and not being led by Lawyers… is that a better way to go… ??? is that a possible way to go (for some) ???

My wife and I are currently having to endure BIL’s divorce saga which is now into year three with costs to date now above £50k, IMO there should be a time limit for reaching a settlement.

There must be a quicker way… one chap I know has been married 5 times ( + live-in ladies :zipper_mouth_face: ) … got to the point where his Mum refused to buy any more Wedding Presents… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Fraid not Stella, if a couple can’t agree a settlement then it has to go through the courts which takes an enormous amount of time as available hearing dates have to be booked months in advance.

Ha ha… 5 times… he married at 21 and then his last marriage was when he was late 50’s… plus the other ladies in between… I think the last lady is on a winner… he is exhausted… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hopefully, this will help folk …

Shouldn’t this be under the brexit category?

3 Likes

In Germany, there is a separation year and then the court procedure with No Blame involved. Simple.
In some respects England is well behind the times. In addition, the decree nisi is the date of the court appearance and not god knows how long after and if it has been applied for. It is automatic. Quite simple really.

1 Like

Yes, but I found out just in time that it isn’t legal…

Shame, as it’s much cheaper

Not if you get caught :shushing_face:

1 Like

I don’t know why I was worried ; no-one would have questioned her absence.

Another opportunity missed