Update from May

When I saw the title I thought the thread was political, cheese is a welcome change. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh good I shall try, thank you. Have you tried Templais Fleuron? (I think it’s from the Lot) It sounds similar, you might like it :slightly_smiling_face:

The name rings a bell, but if so it would probably have been a long time ago. I’ll look out for it and give it a go :cheese:

1 Like

What a beautiful part of France…how exciting! I’ve checked it out on the map and see we are 300odd km away! It looks such a brilliant place to explore and very pretty villages.

You get used to not having them. Not only can we not get hold of any Stilton, we can’t get hold of Haggis either or Mince Pies.

The ingredients for both are fairly easily obtained though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Le Comptoir Irlandais’ tinned haggis is surprisingly good -they also do mince pies etc.
The link below is to their shop locations (mainly in the north-west, for obvious reasons) but they do mail-order.
https://www.comptoir-irlandais.com/fr/magasins

Even I… hopeless at making pastry… can manage to make mincepies…
I use a children’s recipe for the pastry.
Dead simple to pull the ingredients together after they’ve whizzed around in the magimix.
Flattening a walnutish sized ball of pastry mix between ones palms… then gently laying it in the patty-tin.
A blob of mincemeat on top, then enclose whole in yet another hand-flattened ball of pastry mix.

Neighbours can smell these when they’re baking and await their share with eager anticipation… :wink: :+1:

Thats a little exspensive it’s 5,95 euros but £I,50 in the UK

depends on the exchange rate and the cost of travelling… :roll_eyes:

Yes the Comptoir Irlandais is expensive - but I’m not sure where you’re finding decent haggis for £1.50. Macsween’s tinned is 4.45€ at today’s exchange rate - oh and 8€ delivery (to the UK…

Unfortunately, due to restrictions beyond our control, we no longer offer international delivery.

We all know what they mean !).

Wrong kind of mince pies. I am referring to the wonderful mince pies otherwise known as mutton pies. Just had a quick hunt online - look at this - and they do haggis - brilliant:

1 Like

Oh mutton pies are heaven :heart:

Had mutton through out my childhood (living on a farm) never found it here in France, Now mainly cooking on the wood burner would love to find some to slow cook with dumplings… Heaven on a plate

Roast leg of mutton ok too

Chat up your local boucherie maghrébine, they will have mutton :slightly_smiling_face:

Any chance of sharing it?

1 Like

We are in west Cantal since 13 years now, in a small town called Pleaux, 20 mins from Salers. About one hour from Bort les Orgues, which we passed yesterday on our day trip to Clermont-Ferrand.

The specifications of Cantal and Salers are more complex than described below. Those interested can read the French articles in Wikipedia (I noticed that the Englich versions are not totally correct)

Cantal cheese
Salers cheese