Uprating a 5 year WA Titre de Sejour - Closed

Certainly not aspirational merely needing to be done at the correct time.
These cards are free… hurrah… but I’ve noted that a fee is payable for some other cards if application for renewal is made after they have expired… so that’s perhaps something to consider. Will it apply to WARP… I’ve no idea.

I’d hate for anyone to fall foul and have to cough up, simply by not considering that it will presumably need to be done… eventually…

I’m sure that clarification will be available… when the dust settles…

The only issue is, as Angela says, if authorities are insisting on a 10 year ‘permanent’ card rather than a 5 year one before doing x, y or z. Sure you have the full rights, but very, very occasionally need to prove them and a 10 year card can be the best way to do it.

1 Like

I’ve lost the plot… ???

I think there has been a misunderstanding across the board…

I suspect @AngelaR befuddled the authorities by asking to change to 10 year card…
and that request was handled in the “standard” manner… (as there is no provision for changing WARP cards at the moment, since there is no need for such provision…)

Oh dear… I’m off to collect my bread order and hopefully blow the cobwebs away…

Yes I would be interested to know if there are circumstances where having “permanent” rights but a “provisional” card, makes any difference in terms of having your rights recognised.
I cannot find it now but I believe somebody did say that a 5 year card is not accepted as ID whereas a 10 year card is. But proving ID is not what these cards are for. If they do serve for additional purposes too then it is a bonus. But complaining that a residence card cannot be used for a purpose that residence cards are not designed to be used for, seems a little contradictory.
I suspect that in any situation where the difference between full and provisional rights is important (perhaps claiming certain benefits?) the relevant authority would in any case want to examine the circumstances for itself in greater detail than simply looking at a card.

The card is not going to expire as such for 4 1/2 years, which means I will have been here for almost 10 years before I get a replacement.

I shall leave this thread alone now since the reponses to what I have been trying to do are almost entirely negative and also, as far as I can tell, are being made by people who are not in the situation that I am in, so I will pursue my enquiries elsewhere.

1 Like

Fair enough… but if it is your Bank which is giving you difficulties… they possibly need educating.

take care

…interesting set of comments, not sure exapctly what changes once you’ve been in France more than 5 years and you get a permanent 10yr card other than you can be out of the country for more than six months in twelve…maybe if one has only a five year one President le Pen will decree they cant be exchanged for 10 yr one…with two fingers up to Brussels and Westminster. :anguished: :anguished:

Exactly the sort of reason some of us were very keen to get our hands on one ASAP. There are a million incredibly unlikely reasons that could potentially make having the 10 year card, or rather (which some commenters seemed not to understand or agree with) the fact that the prefecture, and so french government, has formally agreed and accepted that we are now permanent rather than temporary residents, an important distinction since no one knows what the future holds. I can’t speak for Angela obviously, but for me it was never about a plastic card, but that acknowledgment from the powers that be in writing via that card that we are now permanent residents, not some kind of temporary transients. In reality it’s very unlikely it would ever be an issue, but life is about feeling safe and having some kind of reassurance and certainty that the government has said “yep, you’re here to stay.”

1 Like

@kirsteastevenson…under the terms of the WA transition to a 10 year card is I believe an automatic right once you have been in France for five years and have spent at least six months out of every twelve months in France…and providing you haven’t been really naughty. This is an EU-UK treaty right and its unlikely that that even Le Pen would try to over turn this…but if there were to be a President Le Pen we would be keeping our uk property!

The biggest issue is not that you can leave France for 5 years, but that the income requirements fall away. If, in your first 5 years, you have the misfortune to loose your job or something like that then you are no longer fulfilling conditions of legal residency and will not be eligible for permanent residency. And can even have your resident permit removed,

I guess these two together are the perfect explainer. You wouldn’t necessarily need to overturn anything, just find enough reasons and loopholes to enable you to do what you want. Not that I think it is remotely likely as I said myself, I’m pretty sure brits would be way down the list after all the black, brown and olive skinned people, anyone not European, and anyone not keen on Putin, but there’s always that chance.

Some people seem to be assuming that the granting of a 10-year CDS is automatic if you have been in France for 5 years on a 5-year CDS.
That is not the case for other types of CDS. As Jane has said, the granting of the 10-year CDS is subject to you having met the conditions for legal residence continuously for those 5 years.
Time will tell whether Brits on the WARP are subjected to the same scrutiny as other immigrants when the time comes to apply for their 10-year card.
It may depend on the outcome of the Présidentielles. Macron was very tolerant, MleP may be less so. She has no need to find reasons and loopholes, she simply has to apply the EU FoM directive more strictly than Macron chose to do.

Forever the optimist Angela :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Andy

I remember someone reminding that it’s not possession of the card which gives you the rights, it’s the treaty - and there are appeal procedures etc - whilst the position might be quite clear for ‘inactives’ - >183 days / year, perhaps less so for frontaliers (particularly with Covid) and the ‘absence for up to a year for a serious medical condition etc’ - scope for ‘interpretation’…
And the treaty identified that ‘minimal’ documentation would be required - i.e. not invasive?

Someone suggested that a greater level of inspection might occur if someone was actually trying to claim money from the state - my hope is that 5 French tax returns will satisfy?

If and I mean if MLP were to be elected President, I think she would have far more on her plate than the insignificant bunch of escapees from Plague Island to worry her little head about :slightly_smiling_face:
Calm down people… take a break and do your tax returns on line if you want some real excitement :rofl:

3 Likes

I wonder where on the list the black, brown and olive skinned Brits are?

2 Likes

My point is that would not be a case of worrying her little head about anything. When the 5 year cards issued this year are due for renewal a new procedure will have to be set because at present there is no procedure for renewing WARP cards. The procedure for renewing other types of CDS are fairly stringent. We are assuming that she will take the trouble to set up a more lenient process for us.
So my point is that a false sense of security can be dangerous. There does seem to be a tendency to turn a blind eye to the fact that the WA does specify certain obligations and conditions, and to regard the 5-year permit as permanent in all but name. By all means dismiss my point if you wish, but to me it seems sound policy to ensure that one complies with the obligations and conditions set down in the Withdrawal Agreement, because if you do not bother to comply and the unexpected happens and the rules are applied strictly, you cannot go back and change it. Most members on here seem to be pensioners and well off early retirees so they will comply but since it is an open forum there may be readers who are in more precarious circumstances.

Higher up than the white ones, but lower than the non-English/French speakers usually unfortunately.

que sera sera…
nowt you can do about it

Not sure what you mean.
At this point if you are on a 5 year CDS you can take care to ensure you respect the conditions for the next five years. If you are running a business, keep running it and keep making a profit, rather than thinking, I have my CDS now, I think I will stop working and take life easy and let the state look after me.
Five years down the line there will indeed be nowt you can do about it.
That is my point.