US Self employment tax for AE in France?

Wa reading that self-employed persons in France need to pay SE taxes (Social Security) in USA. Really ? Been in France for over 26 years, looking to start a business - why pay SS tax in USA ?

Perhaps it depends on who you are, what nationality you hold and what the rules of such nationality actually dictate… :rofl: :thinking:

You pay social security contributions in France. If you are US citizens therefore the US requires you to pay taxes there, which I have heard said before, it would be as well as in France, not instead of.

It seems strange because France does have a double tax treaty with the USA.
Obviously it would not stop you having to declare in both places though.

It might be useful for you to discuss your situation face-to-face at your local Tax Office… :slight_smile:

and, if you are an American Citizen… it might be an idea to discuss with the appropriate dept of the American Embassy… surely they will know what an “American citizen living abroad” should be paying to the US … :thinking:

All I know about Americans and tax is that unlike most countries the IR can require US citizens to continue filing even if they live abroad and have no US income. If this applies to the OP then as Peter says, the tax treaty will explain how it’s dealt with.
I seem to recall a poster on here some time back who was considering renouncing US citizenship for some tax related reason but it turned out to be very expensive to do.

This seems useful and explains the requirements >>

https://fr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/internal-revenue-service-u-s-taxes/

I always thought that US citizens are liable to US tax on their WW income. That, for example is why Bojo dumped his US citizenship.