Very odd, what some people think about England and the English

I suspect that’s in no small part due to the great export success of “The Avengers”. Or as we say “Le Chapeau melon et bottes de cuir”.

It is always interesting to see people’s the reaction on people’s faces when I stare directly at them and say “I have to kill you now. Then, whilst still staring at them directly, pause, pause, pause pause…only joking”. It normally happens when there is cutlery within reach of my hand :slight_smile:

It is down to that very common phenomenon, ‘Don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind’s made up’.
I wonder seeing the huge efforts that are being made now to disabuse folk of the real advantages of vaccination, will this pass on into other subjects?

Hi Chris, I hadn’t realised that you were the Chris Nation that owned the boat yard at Weir Quay. Hope all is well with you and would be pleased to hear from you at some stage.
Janet Booth former owner of Taprobane westerly 22.

It’s a shame you managed to convince her because technically she was correct.
You own your pocket handkerchief on sufferance.

1 Like

Yes, I have had French people tell me the Queen owns everything. In some cases they have it mixed up with leasehold. Then they go and assume that if they buy a flat in London it will be a copropriété…

A lot of French people have also told me they consider the UK to have integrated its different ethnicities and other nationalities far more successfully than France. That makes me feel terribly sad for what it’s now becoming.

And of course if you come from the UK you are English. They don’t understand that the Scots are not English. The Welsh are not English. I’m English but this enrages some of my Celtic friends, not to mention my friends who live in one or t’other part of Ireland and have two passports (UK and ROI)…

Another is the belief that all Brits live in London.

Imagine my delight when I met a Frenchman who not only knew where Norwich was, he had lived there for some years - and excitedly said “Hey, Cromer crabs! bloaters! Woodfordes beer!”

I think the remark that takes the biscuit though is “Did you have tea with the Queen?” I have, as it happens, been to a Buckingham Palace garden party… but does that really count? I saw Her Maj from quite a distance!

1 Like

Ha ha John I love all the points you make and I will pass all this on to the dr in Nancy but I doubt it will convince him. Or my local vet come to that.

I have to accept there is an inbreeding issue with thoroughbred dogs WW. That’s why certain breeds all get the same illnesses, Labs with bad hips etc. In a small country like Ireland there’s probably human issues too, a tragically high incidence of cystic fibrosis for example. But apart from the chinless upper classes, I don’t recognise it as an issue in England.

I presume (hope) you don’t have the same doctor twenty years later. He’s probably been struck off :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In the UK the rate is 2x what it is in Brittany, and in Brittany it is 2x what it is in the rest of France.

1 Like

Not quite correct though…

Read through this reference:

After Napoleon’s abdication, the monarchy was restored with the Bourbons in power. King Louis XVI’s younger brother, Louis Stanislas was crowned as Louis XVIII in April 1814. However, Napoleon came back less than a year later in March 1815. He returned from exile and took back control of the throne. Under his control, France took part in the Seventh Coalition War, but they had few resources and Napoleon ultimately lost the Battle of Waterloo. He then tried to abdicate in favour of his son, but the Bourbon monarchy was restored instead. Napoleon was exiled again, and he would die in 1821. Since his rule only lasted 111 days, it is now known as The Hundred Days.

The Bourbons still, I believe, lay claim to the French throne to the extent, it is suggested, the Bourbons will (one day) submit one of their number to election as President thereafter reclaiming the throne of France…

Man the barricades!!

Sadly, Ireland is the country most affected by this horrible disease in the World.

And the British decapitated their king 150 years before that too.

1 Like

This is a couple of years old but still made be chuckle

Strange tastes but good jokes: how the French really see the English | France | The Guardian

and this

French people hate the English more than the Germans (thesun.co.uk)

well the situation with Andrew is self made and if it did not happen as is said it happened then he should face the music and clear his name.
Maybe this is just being a coward,
Who spends the whole day at Pizza Express

1 Like

well the situation with Andrew is self made and if it did not happen as is said it happened then he should face the music and clear his name.

And so much of it is totally untrue.

1 Like

And that London is always foggy. Perhaps arising from Sherlock Holmes stories.

1 Like

3 Likes