Violence at London Bridge and in The Hague

Now reads as if a man has been randomly stabbing people and has been overwhelmed by some members of the public. However he has been wearing a mock suicide vest so the police have got the civilians out of the way and he has been shot dead by City of London officers

A second incident

Seems the scroat was out on licence with a tag (fat lot of good that did) having been released early from a prison sentence for a terrorist conviction.
BloJo now says he was never in favour of such releases but what did he do about it when in TM’s cabinet and later as PM?
Diddly squat.

2 Likes

As more details of this emerge, there is the frightening proposition that this person - if he was ever “de-radicalised” was again radicalised and attended an event at Fishmongers Hall in the vicinity of London Bridge.
There are many questions to be answered here not least of which numbers how the fuck he was ever freed from Prison in the first place (having originally been given a sentence of “indeterminate length”) and how, whilst wearing a tag, he was allowed in to the event unchecked with certainly one very large knife (if not 2 as some reports suggest) wearing a fake suicide vest!!
Beggars belief.
The best demineralisation program I can think of is stringing the bastards up in the first place. Saves all the faff of having to execute them later by Police

I saw on the news that he was given a 16 year sentence but let out after 7 years

Not being funny, but I’m new to the idea of demineralisation, Graham. The closest I can get to is filleting? Am I close? :thinking::frowning:

As far as de-radicalisation goes, it seems to me it’s always going to carry a risk, 'cos you can’t get into people’s heads to read their thoughts.

It may be the best way of reducing the risk of re-offending, but it can never be 100% successful. The alternative is locking up and throwing away the key. But this could well spread the disaffection and increase the risk of radicalisation, breeding more terrorists.

If stamping out terrorism means stamping out all people susceptible to radicalisation then we’re thinking holocausts again.

As you say it’s a knotty problem. It won’t be solved by tying more knots, the ones already there need to be unpicked.

1 Like

BTW, for future reference, ‘scrote’ (as a derisory description) is spelled like that: derived from scrotum, this being the anatomical term for a gentleman’s artfully designed heat-sensitive self- retracting undercarriage. :hugs::smiley::clamp::hammer_and_wrench:

Graham’s version is a perfectly acceptable alternative

2 Likes

Yoor kwyte rite 2 korect mi, Mary. :hugs:

Kno hard fillins, tsorl bolox enniwai innit Graham!? :smiley:

Yet people would have been happy to have Shamima Begum back. How long would it have been before she was out attacking people or out trying to radicalise people ?

I can’t imagine why the venue of Fishmongers Hall was chosen for this meeting. Rik.tacjan atght by London Bridge and a perfect opportunity to repeat

Duloomar ushog asheuth gorotu duruth doleepinor lugush thurritinor gubag Ushrolrag, Jane. :hugs:

[Tr. “Good to see you are keeping up writing in Troll, Jane”] :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not a matter of being happy to have her back, Mary. It’s a matter of what British values and the rule of law represent.

She’s British, so she’s our problem. We don’t dump our problems on other people. Or do we?

Bit of a rash statement to make, really.
She may have been radicalised ; she may have been classed a terrorist ; but I don’t recall any members of the IRA being de-radicalised
would that be because they did what they did in the name of one of the mainstream religions, were almost cdrtainly, all white, & didn’t change their names ?

1 Like

One man’s deradicalisation is another man’s brainwashing.
England in its heart of hearts knows that historically it was Westminster that had created the situation that led to the Troubles. As you would probably put it Bob, since the 17th century England has fucked Ireland over and over. England has nothing to be proud of. I think it would be hypocritical of an English person to claim that their was no justice in the IRA cause. You can blame them for killing people but you can’t blame them for having a strong sense of injustice. I think the only way to persuade them that the Irish have no grievance against England would be to rewrite history, ie to brainwash them (and we wouldn’t try to do that would we).

In the case of Islamic terrorism, we are proud of our Western values. We’re not imposing them our values on anyone who doesn’t want to share them. Since it’s hard to see any justification for attacking our values we believe that those who are trying to destroy them have been brainwashed, manipulated into taking a distorted view, so ideally we want to un-brainwash them.

I’m not defending terrorism but if there is any justification for it at all, it would be that sometimes it’s the only way people can find to try to oppose oppression and/or injustice when the perpetrator doesn’'t want to listen. It’s hard to see any injustice or oppression in the fact that one society has different beliefs and values from another, we should live and let live. It’s not hard to see injustice and oppression in Anglo-Irish history and even up to the present day.

1 Like

You may have misunderstood my post.
My point was that it’s easy to denounce Islam, & Muslims, but folks seem to have forgotten that the IRA were considered terrorists ; but as far as I’m aware, no-one amongst their number was ever considered for being deradicalised
therefore, for me, all the talk of radical Islamic terrorists is hypocrisy.
IMO religion is at the heart of the problem,along with a few people seeking power, influence, profit for any number of reasons
that we’ll almost certainly never know or understand.
I should maybe add that my mother’s side of the family is of Irish origin.

2 Likes

I think maybe you misunderstood mine.
My point was that when people’s grievances are arguably justified, deradicalising them isn’t appropriate. Trying to convince an Irish Republican that he has no justifiable grievance, when clearly he does, would be brainwashing him not deradicalising him.
To the Western mind, Muslims have no justifiable grievance. They have been brainwashed into thinking that they do. Therefore it is appropriate to deradicalise them.
You seem to assuming that every terrorist is by definition deluded and needs setting right. I am saying, No, not always. A terrorist may be seeing things as they really are.

1 Like

IMO no-one needs deradicalising
Irish, Muslim or otherwise.
When people talk of terror these days, it seems they automatically think of a brown man in a turban

1 Like