Virus/Vaccine News

Another view: You eat sausages your whole life but you refuse vaccine because you don’t know what’s in it…

7 Likes

I’m really surprised at a doctor advising that

1 Like

I think it depends what other conditions you have. To date the virus has been tested on healthy, mainly younger, people. So little experience as yet of whether there could be adverse reactions with people taking drug x or y, and condition a and b. Prudence may be a sound approach on day 1. Anyway, it’s going to take a while to get to the common people so probably little choice.

1 Like

because it might throw up some unforeseen oddities… we need to give it time to see what the true effects are… (more or less his words)

he had some reservations about a vaccine being “rushed”…

2 Likes

I think that a lot of the ‘common people’ haven’t quite grasped the fact that they might not have the opportunity to have the vaccine for many months. Too much emphasis by governments on the roll out in Dec/Jan.

Well, Geof, @Geof_Cox
I’m just a bit sceptical, vaccines usually take years of testing for effectiveness safety etc before coming on to the market & these are being rolled out after a few months. Ummm?

3 Likes

It is totally beyond me Izzy, but there seem to be many who think that it is their duty to resist anything advised by Government.

3 Likes

Having just been told that I now need to stick a swab up my nose twice a week to self test my view on the vaccine has moved from “moderately keen” to “bring it on as soon as possible!” :confounded:

5 Likes

Obviously the long term side effects of the vaccines won’t become apparent until just that - the long term. That, in fact is true of any newly launched drug.
The difference this time is (a) sharing of data and (b) the HUGE amounts of money that have been thrown at this to enable testing to happen extensively and in parallel rather than sequentially.
Although I’m not a fan of vaccines - for example I prefer not to have a flu jab but rely on my own immune system - nevertheless in this instance I will be happily stepping forward. The pharma companies need to find out how this will work in the wider population as soon as possible. These various vaccines are real cutting edge work and the more we learn as a society about the way forward for vaccination programmes the better. I can understand anyone who has underlying conditions might be more wary, but as a fit mid-70 year old, I’m happy to be a guinea pig.
Also, I run a gite and (hopefully) among our first guests this coming spring is someone in his eighties and a care worker - I would hope to have been vaccinated by then as they are friends and I would like to be able to relax and just be with them without feeling I might be jeopardising their lives.

2 Likes

Cautious optimism :pray:

1 Like

Yes, Lily something akin too.

Well you must admit they dont have a great track record. :joy:

It seems Oxford/AstraZeneca might indeed have rushed their testing - though the doubts focus in how well it really worked rather than safety…

Yes, little on safety and few on testing, that I’ve read.
Something to note /// Share price drops as critics question claim vaccine could protect up to 90% of people.
Also the various elected people gouvening today will not be answerable tomorrow. Or, not get imprisoned.
As said, I’ll wait before and if I get a C 19 jab?

1 Like

In a rush to be « first » to market, are we not asking history to repeat itself with the likes of Thalidomide?

It seems that Boris is going to be the object of a Tory rebellion next Tuesday.
He was told off by Mr Speaker, yet again, for not coming to The House to inform MPs first.

Extremely unlikely! So please don’t plant that thought in the minds of conspiracy theorists… these days scientists have a much better knowledge of the type of molecules that cause teratogenic effects, and the testing is tighter.

3 Likes

is spring not too early to receive paying guests in the circumstances

(Edit: this reply is re FRANCE)

Good question…

It’s been clearly stated that if by 20th January, the covid situation has got worse instead of better… the country will step right back under rigid controls… so difficult to predict what will be going on in the Spring…

(there is a real fear that thoughtlessness over Christmas/New Year might result in a covid-explosion)

1 Like

It is a massive problem but i do not expect clients untill July really.
People will be desperate for a holiday away from cities
But safety will surely come first.