Vous n'êtes pas en Europe Madame, vous êtes en France

quite!

Hi Sarah,

If you have been working I think you will have to pay the cotisations, despite being in possession of an E106.

When we first came to France, we were both retired and not working and our health cover was (and still is)with CPAM.

We now want to rent out our gite and for that we will become Auto-Entrepreneur and have to leave the safe haven of CPAM and come under the jurisdiction of RSI.

I will have to pay these cotisations, even though I am retired.

You do not say how long you have been in France and for how long it has been since you left CPAM and became covered by RSI. Obviously, you will only have to pay since the time you started being covered by RSI, as if you are not working the advice you received was correct and the E106 would cover you for two years.

If you are sure of your ground, you could look at SOLVIT which will take up maladministration in EU member states.

Agree! CPAM have always been efficient. The RSI, who know that I closed my studio end of Dec 2010, asked me to re-send my 'certificat de radiation' eight times as they kept misplacing it.........am thinking of sending them an invoice for toner cartridges and postage costs

Yes was working for the period they are claiming and was a freelancer so looks like I was mis-advised at the time and should have been contributing from the day I registered in France

No definitely a page missing where Jeanette and I already replied - saying that once you work in any capacity, your e forms or whatever are null & void - bizarre, off to school too. Back later with that glass of something!

have a glass of something Tracy, the other page will be along in a minute...!

Must go and pick the kids up...

Thanks Sarah

This seems to be the recurring advice..........yet another French cotisation to pay.......

they're a law unto themselves, I sympathise, years at teh CPAM with no real hassles, 3 years with the RSI and although everything's fine now, it did take a good year or two for them to get it right after I explained countless times how the auto-entrepreneur scheme works to them. A scheme which may well be the best thing for you too by the sounds of it, no idea who advised you and what they told you, there are too many people out there qui racontent n'importe quoi !

there's a good AE group on here and we can help, give loads of advice as a few have been in from the word go, artisans, prof libérales etc.

Bonne chance ;-)

There's something strange on this thread only one page is showing up!

Thanks Finn

Good to know this. Even if I do end up paying, this is info I will pass onto any other Brit nationals working as freelancers here as I don't want them to fall into the trap

But if you work in France Jo, still trying to find out is Sarah is but the very fact that she's talking about the RSI and not the CPAM leads me to believe that she is, you have to pay like everyone else... Europeans working in the UK can't waive there E111 or other document to get out of paying NI contributions...!

Thanks Andrew; never knew about this! P****n de mdr mille mille dieu why do RSI issues always seem so complicated?????,

Thanks everyone for your advice and am now following up on the self-employment issue as this was not something I was made aware of..........all advisors at the time said that I was covered

My understanding is the same as Finn's, the E106 entitles you to cover from CPAM (social security) for up to 2 years (depends when in the year you came to France as it runs from january to january) and is intended simply to tide you over (so that you can get access to healthcare) until you are able to pay them yourself ie you start work or start a business, you then pay the contributions due to RSI or whoever else (I sympathise with anyone who has to deal with RSI!!)

Thought that was the case which is why we need to know if you were working Sarah - if so then you'll need to pay like everyone else :-(

The UK E111 card that you get ,as a european citizen (yes that was SO rude and VERY racist and if you have time I would love to see you take her to court!) entitles us to 65% of our healthcare, regardless of circumstances. In order to qualify for the rest,in france, you need to be covered either via an employer, or as a self employed person via your own top-up insurance(MUTUELLE COMPLEMENTAIRE)..this is why all the ads for healthcare on french TV.. . this does not mean they dont have free healthcare though, because as unemployed, disabled or self-employed on a low wage, you are also entitled to ask for CMU. Complementaire Mutuelle Universal (I think its short for)

You have to ask the RSI for a form to claim it if you're self-employed and CPAM if you're unemployed(ASAP!)and once you fill it in, you should have 100% insurance as long as you fulfill the criteria..google CMU to find tables of means tested comparisons.. Unfortunately you might find your expenses that you seem to have already totted up might not be covered and that its the 35% they are now asking you to pay. We were caught out by this after 6 weeks in france in 2008, when our son had a neck injury at school. we didnt find out until a year later, after we'd lived back in the UK for 5 months apart from his dad..if only we'd had SFN then!

By the way, the RSI are a nightmare organisation, I suggest to try and get a personal name of someone there, who isnt racist ASAP and use them to deal with your dossier. If they seem to be charging you too much national insurance, ask for an appeal and get more advice asap. There are notaires who live off dealing with claims against the RSI. sorry:/

Not sure about the reciprocal arrangements, but I had to fill in the most enormous piles of forms to qualify for ACCRE which I think is the only way to get a 2-year SS holiday

possible the wrong person on the wrong day! But are you working Sarah? in which case I think (but I'm not certain) that once you start working, I did within a few months of moving here, you have to pay into the French system regardless of E106 or other docs.

I have just relayed this to my French husband and his business partner. i cannot repeat what they are saying (c’est des malades is where it started but it’s since become far ruder) but suffice to say my 2 frenchies are with you!! And treated just as incomprehensibly. I was definitely covered by the E106 for at least the first 2 years as if I recall it was due to expire just after the birth of my first daughter whhich was pretty much 2 years to the day. However I was under the CPAM then and not yet privy to the rare delights the RSI have to offer in bureacracy and inter departmental communication. Could the difference lie here? i don’t think it should but it could simply be a case of not having the good fortune that the right person answered the phone. Good luck