Was Boris Johnson wrong to speak the way he did?

آپ بوجو کے بارے میں کیا سوچتے ہیں … ؟؟؟ x :slight_smile:

1 Like

أعتذر، لم ألاحظ ذلك

2 Likes

Salam Alaikum Sadiqi :slightly_smiling_face:

مجھے یقین ہے کہ ہم سب احترام سے ایک دوسرے کے ساتھ رہ سکتا ہوں

خوش قسمتی سے، ہم اس طرح سے سب نہیں ہیں

1 Like

Fekr mikonam ke har chiz ke Bojo goft besyar bad va khatarnak ast. Haramzad ast.

My dad used to pop out at 10 o’clock for a gill.
He was a Lancastrian and certainly not a cissie.

2 Likes

Is anyone complaining about him voicing his opinion? Surely they are objecting to his unnecessary attempt at humour where he openly insults a minority of the population knowing that his words will gain him support from another part of society, thouse he will court in his bit to become the leader of the Conservative Party and Britain’s Next Prime Minister. Gutter tactics from a leading politician who should not stoop to that level. Trading insults for political gain should not be acceptable.

3 Likes

That is why it is upsetting.
He seems to be getting away with this as if it is just a harmless joke.
It is not his job to tell jokes to the public.
And yes it is insulting a minority.

3 Likes

I agree with what he was saying, if not with the phraseology he used. My feelings are quite simple, as a Londoner who recalls the Irish troubles clearly: If a white motorcyclist has to remove his crash helmet before entering a bank or shopping centre, and if a young black bloke has to remove his customary hoodie to follow him, why is a person clad in a niquab allowed in?

It’s nothing to do with religion: all three could be muslims. It’s just that I find a balaclava or a mask sinister, I can’t persuade myself that a niquab or burkha is innocent. Sorry, this feeling grew up over decades, I doubt I will be able to change it in my lifetime and am not sure why I should.

When I worked in Dubai I wore long skirts, high necks and long sleeves out of respect for the country where I was working. Why is such respect not expected in return?

4 Likes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45232147

Another interesting situation

And in Switzerland as well. Although I think the handshake issue was not the key to this one. Makes a good headline though!!!

I couldn’t get the Swiss one to post for some reason I agree the Swiss one was not just about the handshake

1 Like

it is nothing about religion?
Then why does he speak without respect?
Please do not tell me is being respectful when he talks like that.

This might be suggesting that in the west, if Muslim women showed more thigh, a bit of cleavage and nicely shaved armpits it would show they respected ‘our culture’ LOL.

No offence intended, DianaP :innocent:uh

As to the handshake, I have found that if invited to shake hands Muslim women will smile politely, and - using their right hand - briefly place the palm over their heart as a sign of recognition.

Any public servant anywhere who interpreted this gesture as a “refusal” would, in my opinion, be a boor, a bigot, a bully and a disgrace to his office.

A proffered handshake is a sign of civilisation. A forced handshake, demanded as a condition of citizenship, would be an offence to civilised behaviour in any country, including Switzerland, in my opinion.

1 Like

It’s interesting that your examples are both men. It’s also interesting that your fear of men who cover their faces has lead to a fear of women that do the same.

I also recall very well the fear of Irish terrorists in London, I was involved in the bombing of the Baltic Exchange in April 1992 (link below if anyone is interested). The archetypal image of men in balaclavas holding guns and not knowing where they might bomb next. Anyone Irish and male was under suspicion.

Now, of course, with more recent terrorist attacks that has translated to Muslim men and, for some extraordinary reason, to Muslim women as well. This is despite no terrorist attacks in the West being perpetrated by Muslim women or by anyone wearing a burka/niqab.

Boris Johnson has not called for the burqa/niqab to be banned but what he has done done, with his “letter box” “bank robbers” jibes, is increase the number of racist attacks on Muslim women by legitimising the mocking/insulting of Muslim women. He knew what he was doing, he’s an odious man.

3 Likes

This discussion reminds me how in Africa men, young and old, often hold hands in public when talking or walking in the street. Soldiers and policemen patrol holding hands. Missionaries tried in vain to tell their black flock to desist, as it was a Sodomite sin.

When I worked in Africa, nurses would hold each others’ hands when walking to lunch. The white expatriate supervisor Sisters would hiss at them, “You shouldn’t ever do that, people will think you are LESBIANS!”

The African girls had no idea what they meant.

So much for superior Western Culture.

4 Likes

As has been said before… Boris’ words have (at least) provoked a thorough discussion…

something good, out of the ashes… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I found one!!!