Water body in a farm!

Anyone aware whom to contact regarding regularisation of a water body in a farm ? It seems the pond in the farm I am buying is more than 1000 square metres so seems to be made good before I do anything with the water in the pond.

I’m not quite sure what you mean… Is the “body of water” declared on the Cadastral Plans and does it conform with safety normes etc…

In my view, it’s down to the Seller to provide the Inspection Report from the “Water Police”.

I was interpreter for Brits selling a property with an undeclared lake/body of water… they had to get the Water Police to do a full inspection… before they could sell…

So… perhaps you could clarify the situation and what you want to know…

1 Like

Thanks. Yes the body of water (>1000m2 so not a pond legally) is on the cadastral plans. I was just trying to plan ahead and check with the concerned regulatory body/authorities on what steps should be expected before buying and onwards after the sale goes through.

The notary mentioned on the lines of some work needs to be done so my head started twitching.

I’ll try and find the name/department you need.

The Water Police came and checked the arrangements re flooding… re emptying for cleaning… and how it impacted the neighbours… amongst many other things (which I’ve completely forgotten).

They also inspected from whence the water comes…
In that instance it was a small spring, which runs all year…

Where does the water in your Water Body… come from ???

The Notaire should tell you what needs doing… there should be complete disclosure, so that you can agree and understand exactly what you are letting yourself in for… before you actually buy anything…

1 Like

Sorry totally missed your question.

All ground water.

Ground water can be many things…
Is it fed by a spring
Is it water draining from somewhere else (rain water from fields for example… or a leaking fosse)

The Notaire can give you the contact for the Water Police, who will check that the “body of water” conforms to the normes and isn’t polluted/polluting etc etc…

It’s entirely up to you if you wish to continue with the Purchase without full investigation/clarification of what might be any future works/costs…

Personally, I would ask the Notaire and hold up the Sale/Purchase until all questions were answered to my satisfaction.

best of luck.

Many thanks for that.

Yes it is an underground spring and during rain some run off water too from the fields.

When you say Water Police, are they called as such ?

The Notaire will know… as will the Estate Agents and (presumably) the Sellers…

there are officials who specialize in water control/environment… etc etc…

whilst you might well not want to fish or swim… the Notaire WILL know to whom all enquiries should be addressed… and, as I have said… make sure you have all info before signing/agreeing anything re Purchase… unless you are brave with bottomless pockets.
I’ll leave you to follow-up on this, since I’ve said it all, really.

1 Like

I seem to remember that if the body of water is over a certain size it has to be registered and inspected. When we sold in 2019 our notaire asked if it had to be registered/inspected and pointed us to an official website, we contacted them, measured under their direction and told it wasn’t big enough or young enough for them to worry about. Again I seem to remember that if the body of water had been there before a certain date it was exempte from regulation. I will try hard to find the name of the website but I’m not sure if I kept the info, I do know it can be found by an internet search.

Thanks a lot for that, I was looking at that page from the past 2-3 weeks but the link, which takes one to the whole regulations page, is dead on the English site and only works on the French site. Yes I have asked my notary last week on your cue about it.

No idea which department your “water” is in…
this link is for Gers, but it’s all basically the same, simply that all departments have their own group…