Water pressure

Thanks for the suggestion
Kind regards
Angela

You can ask your neighbours if they have problems…

also, you should have received an analysis of your water (perhaps you already have)
Water companies generally do them once a year…

I just like to check all angles before handing over any cash… :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:

"we have a big problem with calcium build up"

In which case you may wish to consider installing one of these.

Easy and simple to install and also removes existing deposits as well as preventing future problems. I have used one for over 15 years and it works just fine. Never any limescale in our kettle or plumbing.
No plumbing alterations needed. No salt to keep refilling. Just coil the wires around the incoming water supply pipe, switch on the power, and it’s done.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions

There is one aspect regarding water softeners which has puzzled me.

Limescale is caused by calcium and magnesium that have been dissolved in water being turned into calcium carbonate as the water boils.

I wondered whether the use of a water softener might increase the possibility of kidney stones as presumably the calcium would still be present in the water??

Or not as there is not much hard (sorry) evidence that magnetic water softeners work - as 22pilgrim suggests the magnesium and calcium salts which cause hardness are not removed from the water - only somehow mysteriously altered to stop them coming out of solution (supposedly).

I presume you had limescale build up previously - have you checked your water quality parameters to make sure it is still hard & that the apparent success of the softener is not due to something else.

Ion exchange softeners work, of course, but I’m not so convinced about the magnetic ones.

Hi Paul,
I wasn’t referring to the type that simply consist of magnets clamped around the inlet pipe, but rather to the type that uses variable electro-magnetic pulses to alter the behavioural characteristics of the various substances contained within the water.
This gives a good example of what I was referring to: https://waterking.co.uk/how-it-works

It’s really all about creating ‘nucleation seeds’ within the water as is explained here: https://waterking.co.uk/news/lets-get-physical-how-much-do-we-know-about-physical-water-conditioners

The bottom line is that electronic impulse water treatment systems really do work to both prevent and remove limescale, even though it all sounds a bit like magic. One of the wonders of modern technology I suppose. (50 yrs ago who would have thought that a smartphone was possible ?)

Screwfix have stopped sending to mainland Europe because of covid. Indeed they stopped months ago.

Call me an old-fashioned Physicist, but in my opinion only ion-exchange water softeners work. i.e. those that you charge with salt.

1 Like

I emailed Screwfix in September to see when they would restart delivering to Europe - I was told that it was not in the foreseeable future so it is going to be a while.

In the meantime I have been using www.toolstation.fr (only requires an order of 20 euro for free delivery).

2 Likes

We have a water softener. It is plumbed in to avoid softening the water from the kitchen cold water supply which is used for drinking.

Thank you, what is the name of the part I need to order.

kind regards

Angela