Watershed moment for Macron's France? Update 3 July 2020

Bien sûr :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmm… in 2007, I said that Sarkozy would win (although I knew nothing of his politics) … I based my prediction on the simple fact that he was the best-looking candidate on the billboards… and he did win… :zipper_mouth_face::thinking:

1 Like

Whichever side you take, this crisis is clearly not going to just fizzle out. It is particularly deplorable that the President has chosen not to appear on TV himself to reassure the French people at this time of intense anxiety and prefers to use his Prime Minister instead as a shield against the very real criticism of his policies.

Just to remind everyone that the majority didn’t vote for Macron. They/we voted to prevent Marine le Pen from taking power.

2 Likes

Absolutely… it was just coincidence that he happened to be the better looking of the two… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Ooo gender bias, Stella? :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

Ha ha… Peter… see my previous post about when Sarkozy won… just how it goes, I guess… :wink: how else do people decide who to vote for… :thinking:

True, Stella, too true. There was a time when statemanship mattered over looks: Atlee, Wilson, Thatcher (who had dominatrice appeal for a certain kind of fellow), Heath (gulp), Brown… :thinking:

As the old Yorkshire saying goes, “there’s trimmins fer ev’ry 'at!” :wink:

Not forgetting also ‘there’s nowt as queer es folk’ :roll_eyes:

It still matters in this house.
I can see Dominic Grieve giving the necessary leadership at the moment.

Interesting times.
The Greens have won several large cities in the last elections, including Lyon.
Perpignan, twinned with my home city of Lancaster, elected the abominable Le Pen’s party.

Philippe giving himself time to organise a Presidential campaign in 2022 methinks.

1 Like

More to do with him being elected as Maire du Havre last weekend methinks.
M. Macron did say originally that he was not keen on Ministers having jobs in National and local Govt IIRC so I guess he decided to do the honourable thing for his new electorate rather than, as was suggested, leave it to his deputy to handle things there until the next GE.

That’s also possible and might signal the end of his career at National level, shame if that’s the case as he came across well.