Web site design

(Roger Bruton) #1

I'm having a web site designed and "built". The guy tells me he is using Wordpress. I know nothing about Wordpress. Can anyone enlighten me vis-a-vis advisability/speed/ease of amendments etc etc (I don't want a course on "how-to-do".) TIA

(Shirley Morgan) #2

WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL.[5] WordPress is installed on a web server, which either is part of an Internet hosting service or is a network host itself; the first case may be on a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case is a computer running the software package WordPress.org.[6] An example of the second case is a local computer configured to act as its own web server hosting WordPress for single-user testing or learning purposes. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system. WordPress was used by more than 26.4% of the top 10 million websites as of April 2016.[7] WordPress is the most popular blogging system in use on the Web,[8] at more than 60 million websites.[9]

This article is about the blogging software. For the blog host, see WordPress.com.

Quick facts: Developer(s), Initial release ...

It was released on May 27, 2003, by its founders, Matt Mullenweg[1] and Mike Little,[10] as a fork of b2/cafelog. The license under which WordPress software is released is the GPLv2 (or later) from the Free Software Foundation.[11]

Overviews

WordPress has a web template system using a template processor.

hope this helps you - I found it on Wikipedia - just typed Wordpress into their search box!

(Shirley Morgan) #3

Perhaps SFN use Wordpress, James might be able to answer your questions re speed etc.

(James Higginson) #4

We don't use it but it's pretty standard issue, widely used and plenty of resources online to help you operate it.