Weed killer rules

Oh yes, le procureur will place your 'porter plainte' letter on a massive pile and get round to it in two years and then assume it must have been dealt with so ignore it.

Doug, le chambre d'agriculture has a duty to analyse all chemicals used on land under EU regulations and by golly they have made some big problems for the man hereabouts who used chemicals on a field that he did not own just before the local big cattle farmer harvested the field for hay and in the following February several cows produced unusuable milk. The 'offender' was caught because somebody saw him and like most of us is friendly with the cattle people, had not thought much of it at the time, but actually even remembered the exact date. Hay was analysed by the chambre, gendarmes got a report and complaint and thus offender a visit. The tribunal fined him a lot of thousands of €s, so he got out of it by claiming bankruptcy and moving away (to much applause from 100% of neighbours).

It was before our time here but is still talked about quite often during haymaking. For instance, when the son comes to harvest our field he asks if we have used any chemicals at all as a matter of course and does the same with everybody else. The chambre d'agriculture advised he always does that .So do not underrate the chambre at all. Perhaps your local one is not much cop, but Catherine's might be very much on the ball.

Brian, I know all about the chambre and ag. they are not interested in this! best bet is gendarme and or Marie. most likely they do know about person as u say, though they mostly know they are kooky quirks and they are obligated to check it out! they will talk w pesty neighbor and eventually pesty neighbor will stop. all that other stuff is a big waste of time, cameras. etc . unless you will Porter Plainte ? and that is even bigger waste of time!

Yes...I know...just thought it would be another bit of damage (which is why non working cameras a good idea) he would have to answer for....personally....I would be out there with a camera every time he used the right of way...but then...thats me and I tend to thrive on confrontation (plus I was an athlete...and can run very fast!)....but wouldnt suggest that for anyone else!

Carol, you are always wonderfully optimistic about some things. If this chappie is such as ba**ard then he'll smash them all, just like hunters do in areas with CCTV cameras to make sure protected species (mostly plants but also a few birds) are not disturbed.

Doug - please reinstate your surname before posting again. Thanks.

You may find that if you mount some cameras around...(doesnt matter if they work or not) just make sure you put them on posts on your land...pointing at his right of way over your land...and maybe put some signs under them stating they are CCTV cameras...he may just stop....much like speeding in the UK...the cameras seem to change behaviour!

Doug, chances the gendarmes know said neighbour and will side with him are too high but the chambre d'agriculture inspectors really do have no enforcement powers despite the terrorist-like farmer version of them as you say but THEY pass a complaint on to the gendarmerie that then MUST be acted on.

dont waste your time with the chambre d’Agruculture!!! they have no enforcement powers! call the police! they will actually come out and check it out and have a talk w neighbor.

I do really sympathise and feel so sad for you as I have only had good experience with my French neighbours who have been kind and supportive to me at all times, do you have any nice neighbours who can give you a statement of support or confirm this odious man's behaviour?

Photos a good idea. I will take some now. Thanks.

How horrid for you to live next to such hostility! I do sympathise. We had issues with neighbours who have thankfully moved away now! Hope that the chambre d'Ag, and some photos will get him dealt with for you! Secret cameras seem like a great way ahead to me. At least then you have proof of his exploits - which makes them easier to resolve. Bon courage! :-)

Right Nick, the chambre d'agriculture but if you have any pictures of grass completely yellow from weedkiller on your land or within perhaps a metre of your vegetable garden take them. That way you'll get an inspector out. They are terrorists as far as most farmers who do not play by the rules are concerned and will deal with your neighbour very consequently.

Now I really must away out...

Definitely make your local chambre d'agriculture your first port of call.

I would do it as a "I want to spray MY garden to keep my weeds down" type thing and then they will instantly start off by telling you what you can NOT do.

Tom is right about making friends. Also droit de passage means he can use it as a right of way but if it is on your land maintenance is your business, including any spraying. If he is spraying and it affects your vegetables my farmer neighbour (good friend) tells me you should complain to your regional department of agriculture who may well come to take a sample from your vegetable garden, virges, etc and fine him (fines are not small here). So how's that for an over the fence chat at 0530?

.... he sounds like a right nasty piece of work, a real sad person, and wonder what his next move would be. Just a thought - any chance of you knowing someone who could discreetly and secretly put up some small cameras up here and there - so he would have no idea, that if he was misbehaving again, he would be caught on camera?

Good luck.... :)

I suppose I need to fill in the background. I bought my house 22 years ago, initially only summering here. I had a lot of "attention" from local célibataires, most of it light hearted and manageable. Things started getting really ugly with my neighbour when I got involved with someone a few years ago. My neighbour has done many, many nasty things- the two I mentioned are just the most dangerous and evil. It's dark primal stuff and not something to be reasoned through, just controlled. No one in the village likes him, but he is wily and intelligent and speaks the local patois. When push comes to shove, I am an outsider no matter how well I get on with everyone else in the village. Thankfully I have a great relationship with our mayor who regularly attends a weekly life drawing evening in my studio. But no one likes a whiner. I want to be able to go to the mayor and say "Look, would you mind having a word with M. X because he is spraying chemicals too close to my potagé according to (eg) section 3 on page 7 of the Code de'Agriculture..." No emotional mess, just clarity. I just need to track down the appropriate legislation.

Mark you crack me up! must say...I would be tempted if that was my neighbour! I have limited patience, a temper to match....and my dear old dad was friends with the Krays...so maybe some of it rubbed off!

I had a neighbour like that - he also demanded that his droit de passage should be 16 metres wide, to allow lorries to pass each other. The access led to a small rocky slope with nothing on it.

I shot him & now have no problems! 3 squares & an hour in the execise yard every day & a visitor once a month. (Actually he passed away naturally...)

It also looks like the legislation governing this is in the phytosanitaire legislation 12 September 2006 - but I am on my mobile and can’t get a good look at it. Perhaps someone else can.

I would suggest you ask at your local Chambre d’Agriculture for them to give you the local regs on spaying rules. They will have them and you don’t need to tell them why you want them. I know in other regions even spraying in a light breeze is a no no.
So pop down and have a word with them.