Weird indications of impending battery failure

I foresee a growth cottage industry in pulling the relevant fuse and wiring around it as needed, and pre 2022 vehicles will keep their value much longer.

1 Like

Wholesale reprogramming the car’s various control modules more like - it will be too deeply embedded in the system to “disable by pulling a fuse”.

And given the complexity of a modern car’s firmware I think I’d rather put up with sticking to the speed limit than trust my life to some back street hacker.

Quite possibly, yes.

Have you pulled the fuse on your abs brakes, stability control,traction control and airbags to give you that control back from those pesky electronic controls :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I do if I have to drive in snow…

There’s a button for that :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sort of OK with that if my insurance is charged by the kilometre. I’ve four vehicles and a motorbike here. Three of which are insured for “under 5,000km PA” but two of them normally do less than 2k and the motor bike far less than that. I’d find a insurance per km driven attractive, not sure the insurance company would. Difficult for their cash flow planning.

I think we are the unwitting testbed and guinea pigs for autonomous driving. I’m sure all the data is being uploaded (in my case to Wolfsburg and Stuttgart) if not in realtime at service intervals, and they giggle away like Smash aliens knowing we’ve paid for the options they want to test out.

1 Like

You have a button to switch off the ABS :face_with_raised_eyebrow::wink:
Last car I had that on was an Audi Quattro in 1988.

1 Like

My son is heavily involved in saloon car club racing and this is what he and his mates do all the time. There is even a special jig that weighs the load on each wheel of the car with the driver in place so that the suspension control can be set exactly as required. I have no doubt that circumnavigating a gps system is a challenge they would enjoy, and fairly quickly solve.

Anyway, it’s all a bit academic for me as I’m confident my current set of wheels will last at least another 15 years, and after that I shall probably be driving an Aixam or Ligier anyway.
So please be nice to the old gaffer in the little ‘Not-a-car’, as one day it will probably be me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cant wait for some of the tech, being able to unwrap that boiled sweet or opal fruit that has previously defied all atempts to completely remove its wrapper whilst the car takes care of itself for a few seconds.
The french cars will be equiped with unintelligent cruise control where you can set the distance to the car in front from 1-3metres. :joy:
One of my customers has a Tesla model 3 and I am rather envious. No need to code batteries or injectors or any other accessory. Legacy car makes wont want to let go of their vice like grip on your wallet so it will be over to the start ups to set the ground rules.
Driving used to be enjoyable but with the proliferation of speed bumps, mini roundabouts and ever varying speed limits I cant wait to get autonomous driving. It will also allow older drivers to become less of a hazzard whilst maintaining freedom.
I know some Audi’s etc read speed signs and warn or adjust the speed, if all cars had that we could do away with speed humps forever!

Yes Audis read the signs and say “ach Quatsch, ich hab’s eilig und die Straße gehört mir sowieso…”
(ie oh pffff I’m in a hurry and the road belongs to me anyway) :joy:

4 Likes

Could also be the the various contacts of the components.

You forgot the Beemer, generally the Audi is driven by some auld geezer with a cheroot in the gob and a flat cap on with the obligatory bog roll on the back parcel shelf. Oops Entschueldigung, I meant the merc driver :joy:

Hurhurhur :rofl:

Generally the Audi and BMW are driven by somebody who thinks they are pretty flash and superior and therefore has the right to sit on your arse, overtake in dangerous situations and look down on others.
A sweeping statement with exceptions but none will convince me otherwise. Oh…and we own a TT.

Why the closed mind? Even if you heard a convincing argument?

It’s a dangerous move to start banding people together.

(also had a TT in the past and a BMW, didn’t like either really).

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek Mat but that said a formulated opinion does not indicate a closed mind.
We’re not too keen on the TT either which is why it is going up for sale.

Had an MX-5 before the TT and loved it. Swapped the TT for a Scirocco which was good fun also.

get yourselves a decent car… :hugs:

www.google.com_search_q=citroen+trefle&rlz=1C1CHBF_frFR906FR907&sxsrf=ALeKk03voRRNq33dz-xs6va0DKeTI5hLVQ_1613810201300&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjR2aG-h_juAhXaA2MBHfOCDTwQ_AUoAXoECBkQAw&biw=1920&bih=937

5 Likes