Well done Albi town council

Will do when we return :+1:

@Peter_Bird - isn’t life in France wonderful!

3 Likes

Yes, I feel very lucky to be here.

1 Like

Our area has a Christmas crib visit laid on by the team parish - several churches, including ours which now has, I think, 9 separate cribs! You don’t have to be a believer to go along (we found out about it as our church is a monument historique), and on the ‘rally’ day one of the communes provides a vin d’honneur afterwards, and has an artisan’s market on the same day.

Another village buys all children in the village a Christmas present out of the funds from their vide-grenier. Ours gives all the over-70s a present of foie gras, confit de canard, biscuits, chocolates and, of course, wine delivered by one of the local councillors (the one I planted bushes with on the journée citoyenne this year, as it turned out - I wondered what he was up to with all those shopping bags).

Same in our commune, unfortunately they take the age info from the electoral roll - yet another downside to Brexit.

Our lot have a fantastic party for the kids, all get a gift and they have a great time. We had only been living here a month and were invited even though our son was only 7 months old and we were introduced to everyone and made very welcome. Sadly I have missed the last two due to work. Our new Mayor organised a huge Summer Fete this year and he pulled out all the stops with the entertainment. I love living here in the Cromac commune.

3 Likes

Oh dear… sounds like they only give to folk who vote… which is indeed what some communes do in order to keep down the costs.
This means that any of their Residents who are NOT on “the roll” get passed by… and not just Brits of course…

Our Council in Trivy voted that as we were integrated into our community and that Brexit was not our fault, we would continue to be invited to the old folks meal.

1 Like

Lucky you :wink: