Well done France!

There are often specific places for disposing of journals/magazines… but as far as I am aware paper is acceptable in the sac jaunes… certainly has been for years around here…

1 Like

It’s the same here but it whold be better if they had one for paper only but next year here you are going to have to pay for the weight I’m afraid that’s is going to lead to people burning it at home more so it’s not going to get recycled I understand why the new system because around here where the bins are they are so many different stuff in the bins and next to them that should not be there

I’m using a Lenovo T60 (released 27 years ago.)
Runs fine with Ubuntu and good for everyday purposes.
Additional advantages, virtually indestructible, will stop a bullet and can be used in self defence as a weapon!
I also have a desktop running Win 10, but it is so slow starting, I have usually forgotten what I wanted to do by the time I get any response!

1 Like

Martin… are you sure you are paying for the weight of what you put in the recycling… I’ve certainly not heard anything about that…

They are talking about “weighing” (or whatever they decide to do)… for black sacks… the rubbish.

2 Likes

Im not at the moment I thought I said next year

Here we have yellow and black bags but the strange to me staying at my ex in Bordeaux that they did not have any sorting system at all black and yellow is that a country thing

When we lived in Paris in a block of flats we had full tri for separating waste. Plus a local place if we wanted to collect stuff for compost.

They whole idea of bringing in weighing waste is to reduce the amount. Check the information you’ve read and I think you’ll find it doesn’t apply to waste that is to ne recycled.

1 Like

We have recycling containers. Only two kinds, glass and everything else. Hopefully they have the technology to separate it all out. Haven’t dared ask!

1 Like

Our local recycling centre does visits so you can see how they do it. Very labour intensive.

Our local old folks club members are famous for their reluctance to go on organized outings. But they all went when the crematorium had their “portes ouvertes” and came back full of enthusiasm.
A grand day out!

3 Likes

They’ve done it again! “Paris police step up anti-noise patrols”. Chapeau!

I was visiting a private eco-foundation, advisor to the Arch of Cant’y amongs other things, when I heard my friend, now on the board, say to a caller, “We don’t do noise.”

Well, they might not be she and her husband do. In the 40 years he has lived in this place he has created this

in an attempt to reduce the noise from this. They live immediately behind the greenery.

The two-lane northbound at at 9 o’clock turns into 3-lane just out of the picture. It is a m’way spur with no cameras, just over 1km long. It is a big favourite of the ninja bike brigade.

I’ve stayed at theirs for 30 years. Not any more. The noise from this gyratory is insane, mind-numbing, 24/7. The big bikes are the worst of course, but the number of sirens that go round it, at least 10 per hr, I call the place “Neenahstan”

Forza Paris! Come on, everywhere else!

I do not know why the code on the bottom of plastic items is not followed. I rang up the people who do our re-cycling here and was told that they only have bottles because the others have food in them. So milk is now not food. Cakes and pastries are code 1, as our milk bottles and all the clear plastics for tomatoes etc. They are using this as an excuse because they have not invested in the equipment to handle all the plastic that should be being re-cycled.

1 Like

Jane… you’re not near Bordeaux are you… so you’ve obviously got a different enterprise handling stuff around you.

Perhaps, one of these days, it will all get streamlined… and we will use less and less stuff which is not recyclable… hopefully… :hugs:

This isn’t a pop at you Stella but re
“and we will use less and less stuff which is not recyclable… hopefully”
Hope is not a strategy.
I’m sure you take firm steps to reduce consumption but EVERYBODY needs to take steps. Results and change come from actions - sweet dreams won’t do it.
It needs people to make changes and, maybe more importantly, to actively influence others to make changes.

1 Like

We had fairly limited plastic things that could be recycled until a couple of months go when we went to the new system. Now ALL plastics can be recycled. We are down to one small bin bag of rubbish ever 2 weeks as between the recycling, compost, cat and chickens there is very little that goes in the normal bin (luckily as it works out about €5 / bag on this stupid new system). I love the new system for the reduction of rubbish but we all have to take our rubbish down the point - they ‘say’ it is better for the environment but I can’t see how hundreds of people driving to the bins is better than 1 truck doing the tour once a week. Then they are often full so bags dumped on top / around. It is also costing us 2 times as much as before!

1 Like

I know you’re not popping at me…

I think the “hopefully” is simply how I feel about things… I’m hopeful that folk will see sense (in so many areas of our lives)… I’m hopeful that better recycling systems will come on stream.

I am very vocal … and I do speak out … but this is a free world … I can’t hit folk over the head to force them to do sensible things… I try to set an example … gently, gently … but, at the end of the day, it’s their decision.
Many folk take the easy way out… because they can’t be bothered and/or they think their good-effort won’t make much difference…

It’s an uphill struggle… but I am hopeful that we will get there…

It’s much too complicated.
Making a decision to buy yogurt in glass jars instead of plastic pots might be more environmentally friendly. But then you have to take into account how far the extra weight had to travel and whether your local recyclers can process plastic pots and so on.
Banning the sale of bottled water has to make sense. But that is a matter for government, because if it is on the shelves people will buy it.
I even overheard someone saying “Have we got enough to rinse the dishes?”

I could stop buying bottled water tomorrow if the local water company gives me water that is actually for drinking, when it comes to paying for your trash here next year here allot of people including me think it’s just a way to get more money because they have to pay of that new office building that looks like it’s a google office must have cost a fortune to build

Making your own yoghurt is simple.

1 Like