Well I never

My husband has just picked these from our cherry tree, the first cherries since we bought the house. We thought it was a morrello tree as any cherries were always tiny and sour so just left them for the :bird:
Any of you gardenerā€™s have a reason for this?

2 Likes

Possibly it is an early-flowering variety which doesnā€™t fruit as it should most years because the flowers are wiped out by rain etc. I have one like that, it was laden this year for probably the 2nd time in about 15 years. Or maybe it is supposed to have teeny sour cherries guigne type, but this year the conditions are such that it does something freakishā€¦

1 Like

That is interesting Vero. Our other fruit trees only give a good yield every other year( good this year) which is freaky! I hope the freakiness continues because I love cherries :yum:
Last year was the first year my peony flowered, it was worth the wait.
I have had no luck in growing poppies, but this year the seeds I planted years ago appeared like trifids, they were everywhere!

2 Likes

Having inherited a small mixed orchard with a variety of fruitiers, and being generally ignorant of any kind of arboriculture before settlng in France, Iā€™m learning the rhythms of nature donā€™t coincide with manā€™s or womanā€™s calendrial expectations, and have an ancient sentience if their own, based on the local terroir, the microclimate and the structure of the garden and itā€™s varied vegetation, animals, birds and insect life, the disposition of the gardener, and the phases of the moon.

There are almost certainly other factors I am blind to, and which take a lifetime or more to tune in to.

The cherries are magnificent, perhaps they have a message for you?

3 Likes

We had cherries on our tree for the first time (Iā€™ve seen) in 15 years.
A tree down the road is three weeks behind mine!

2 Likes

Perhaps a product of local topography and/or microclimate and/or variety of cherry. My neighbour explains that for early bloomers like cherries and some apples fleurs-avant-feuilles is the product of a cold snap, and feuilles-avant-fleurs is favoured by warmth.

Iā€™ve noticed that a late sharp frost can both encourage then obliterate early blossom and thus fruiting potential, and birds can strip a cherry tree clear of early fruit in 24 hours. :frowning:

3 Likes

That makes sense to me! The only kind of ā€œgardeningā€ I like is of the Robert Hart ā€˜forest gardenā€™ kind.

The cherries here in the Clunysois have been poor this year.
It is now too hot for the raspberries and our first crop is not up to expectations.

I think Peter Gs comments here are all good. Knowing your own tiny bit of planet, takes time, unless you like to follow rules, which will not work so well. Lots of wild cherries here, right now, but Iā€™ve eaten all mine. Figs next, and some peaches.

No figs chez moi until August, I have white ones and purple ones, huge old trees which were old when I bought my house 20 years ago. I am thinking of planting a Couille du Pape just for the fun of telling people what variety it is. I am 9.

4 Likes

I got their message Peter, they were delicious :yum: All the cherry trees I have seen recently had wonderful bounty, but most were just left to the birds!
Plum, peach, pear and walnut trees fully ladened, small apple tree suddenly turned brown and withered :thinking:
I love fresh figs :yum:

1 Like

I really did think that cherry season was finished!

Our cherry trees full last year, practically nothing this year. Someone told us our fig tree was a false fig in 2017 so my husband cut it right back, last year it was full of delicious figs.

[quote=ā€œTeresaship, post:13, topic:26269, full:trueā€] Someone told us our fig tree was a false figā€¦
[/quote]

Figs are known to have very acute hearing and are also very sensitive to unjust criticism. Fig expects your husband will set the record straight about her authenticity. Fig appreciates your figgy solidarity.

2 Likes

I wish figgy was clever enough to turn into fig rolls, I love those biscuits.

1 Like

I make fig jam some with chopped figs and another lot with whole figs - both are delicious.

I also freeze whole figs - delicious at Christmas/New Year - caramelized in a hot pan - yummy.

2 Likes

A friend developed a nasty rash after pick his figs! Dr said it was fig mite, is there such a thing?

1 Like

A friend of mine makes amazing fig and ginger chutney :heart:

3 Likes

Sounds delicious especially with the ginger.

The doctor mite have thought the fig mite have caused the rash, and the friend mite have misunderstood. :upside_down_face:

Of course, fig mights mite exist and mite bight.

3 Likes