Well I never

The fig might mite be a mitey bighter, a rite bliter, fite or flite, which mite be the rite way ite of this plite?

3 Likes

Oh no the first two casualties of this heat :crazy_face::crazy_face::wink:

1 Like

@Vero and @Lily

Ginger is absolutely delicious with almost anything - I make jams/compots:

Plum & Ginger
Apricot & Ginger
Apple & Ginger
Orange & Ginger

the ideas come depending on what fruit I get given

3 Likes

One’s accent is very Buck hice, VĂ©ro, hev you come far? :smile:

1 Like

Figues_-_couille_du_pape couille sometimes translated as ball, sometimes as penis. Seems like an unlikely sales pitch, the pink cross section makes me think of human reproduction biology lessons. I wouldn’t dare say Popes private bits to anyone. I know he isn’t as important as he used to be. That “9”
 Is it your horticultural/successful plants, zoning? I think you could grow bananas in 9. Ice Cream Banana Musa acuminata balbisiana ‘Blue Java’ , surely persimmons, paw-paws. Grapes do pretty well here.

Alas no, it is my mental age :laughing: because I think a fig called Pope’s bollock is funny.

3 Likes

Vero, Just saying popes bollocks makes me laugh too. With or without figs. But there’s no emoji except a green heart, for instant response.
Perhaps this is drifting into seriously non PC.
I just read the posts about responses to TVs athletic girls. Popes bollocks could be equally unacceptable?
eeeek. Blokes not liking any derogatory refences to their naughty bits. Sorrreeee everybody. If so. Still laughing into my Ricoré.

2 Likes

I’m sure there is. I’m careful about going too close to my fig tree, tiny things defend it and the fruit. The exact moment each fig is ripe, it is invaded and eaten, too, by something.

2 Likes

Figs can be dangerous,

1 Like

That’s really interesting - cheers Chris.

It’s my job to pick the figs in a local garden. Whilst I’ve never had a problem with the tree sap - I often have a challenge with the gueppes and frelons.

However, I shall take extra care from now on - forewarned is forearmed :hugs:

That hand looks really sore. Another thing to remember when the figs ripen.

It’s not something I’d ever heard of before. We had a fig tree here but they didn’t taste very nice at all and anyway when they were ripe the starlings descended and munched the lot!

Oh what a shame. I pick loads every day and give them away to all and sundry.

One year I sat under the tree in the village square every day when school finished - and let the passing kids eat what they liked - but only up to 6 figs each. They loved munching their daily dose and I reckon it kept them regular :slightly_smiling_face: The parents were pleased to accept bags of figs to use back home as and when. :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Fig sap is or was a well-known rural southern wart-cure, so I suppose it isn’t that surprising. Poor children.

One to watch out for in your garden is wild parsnip, it is a nondescript umbellifer but the juice is incredibly photosensitising and eg when mowing you can end up with enormous blisters which almost always go septic. Particularly awful for children.

“They loved munching their daily dose and I reckon it kept them regular
” @Stella

I bet their teachers and parents also showed you a “slightly smiling face” Stella, Gawd only knows what 6 figs did to enhance the regularity of those kiddies’ entrails, but I bet lots of little hands were waved frantically during lessons, “Madame, s’il vous plaüt, je dois faire caca!” :anguished::poop:

It’s OK Peter - it was a max of 6 per child. Some had one or two
 others wanted and chomped their way through more - but no more than 6 from me. They may well have eaten more at home.

Figs are part of daily diet here, with so many trees (different varietes) which offer ripe fruit over a period of months. Our digestions are ready, willing and able.

We also enjoy prunes :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

and the kiwis through the winter

2 Likes

“Our digestions are ready, willing and able” @Stella

So happy for you all
! :joy:

The fig-eating saga has been going on for nearly 20 years - almost as long as this thread. :rofl:

1 Like

Peaches now. Astonished to find my weedy peach tree under the brambles, weighed down with at least two bucket fulls of peaches.
Not yet edible. I like saying
 "figs, peaches, cherries, pears, quetsches, quinces, grapes, apples plums and different plums, mirabelles ". All really growing here, now, just not a lot. But, The grapes are amazing! I had two big bunches last year. This year, if they all get to be grape sized, I’ll start bottling Moulin des Vaux plonk.

We love figs actually so any recommendations for varieties to plant would be gratefully received.

1 Like