Well, we never expected that..... The PM was heard to mutter to Hancock

You’re right Eddie, many people haven’t taken the precautions they should. But isn’t that to a large extent down to leadership too.

2 Likes

Bojo tried to make the best of being given the bum’s rush at his press briefing. From what I’ve seen Manu said that testing all the drivers before boarding might help. Get Dido on the job.

1 Like

No some people are just a!seholes

Well, there’s no denying that.

Updating a little.

I don’t really like using the Telegraph as a source but I can’t put my finger on the original data - this is from an article there

The first thing to note is that the data does not seem totally consistent with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control graph I referenced above - there is %age new variant was given as 10% in week 47 (w/c Sun 15th or Mon 16th Nov) whereas the telegraph graph as over 20% in all areas. I suspect the discrepancy is that the data the Telegraph are using concentrates on the areas of highest incidence for the new variant whereas the ECDC data is all samples.

London and “East” (whatever that exactly is) have at least doubled in the three weeks from Nov 19 to Dec 9, suggesting a slightly lower rate of about 2 weeks to double - but remember these are %age of all cases, it’s capped at 100% and I’d expect an “S” shaped curve here, initial exponential increase slowing to become linear and then rising slowly and asymptotically to 100% - so not unreasonable to think that now, another week and a half down the line, 80% or more of the positive cases could be N501Y, and that might well be driving the current resurgence.

The Telegraph also suggests that it is already circulating in Europe - so, if it did arise in the UK it looks like the EU has shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Which kind of illustrates why travel bans are not, actually, effective - by the time you realise you need a travel ban, it is already too late.

1 Like

They will all be coming from Hong Kong now Paul.

I see on TV2 France, Toyota in France have had to stop production as they are waiting for rear light fittings that are produced in the UK

I’d like to know what happened to the mass testing programme Johnson promised for all tier 3 areas and which proved effective in uncovering asymptomatic cases in Liverpool in the autumn? The Tories are responsible for encouraging people to go out and spread the virus - and only for short-term economic reasons. All of those small businesses that would’ve gone to the wall in October will now fold in January - but at great cost to human life and longer-term welbeing.

I’m left with no option other than to lie in order to get an NHS test if a clear test is required for us to qualify to travel to France. Either that or sneak onto the back of a lorry!

And I’d guess Toyota UK has stopped or reduced production because some other component comes for Europe. A total mess.

Dido Harding happened to it Steve :pensive:

Now, if it was horses that needed it she’d buck up…

1 Like

French pompiers have arrived in Dover to carry out PCR tests for truck drivers (due to no British testers/tests showing up).

1 Like

Please give your source that no British testers have tuned up,

1 Like

Yesterday in Dover drivers were still waiting for promised tests. That is all I know. " “Police three days ago told us that testing will start soon, but they don’t know when and that’s why people are protesting,” another said.

“We just want to do the test and just go straight home.”

Signing off now.

What’s the betting along with a covid test everyone tested had to cough up 10€ for a calendar before they were allowed to continue? :joy:

5 Likes

Because the French ambassador to the UK seems to think it’s a joint initiative,and the two countries are working together,to extrapolate that no uk testers turned up is fake news at its worst

2 Likes

You might want to check the photos on this article @Fleur
It’s quite clear that the UK and French medics are working together on this.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Enfin !
CNN said yesterday, before the French pompiers arrived,
“A testing regime that will allow the hauliers to leave Britain has been hastily organized, with 170 military personnel deployed to carry out mass testing on the ground. But little evidence of it was visible on Wednesday morning, with police advising drivers to get tested either via the NHS or at Kent’s Manston Airport.
And tension mounted between some drivers and officials, with crowds of hauliers shouting and arguing with authorities over the standstill, access to testing and the lack of facilities at the port of Dover on Wednesday. As dawn broke on Wednesday morning, visibly frustrated drivers complained to police officers of about the lack of toilet facilities. “No shower, no toilet, no nothing,” one said.
Later in the day, a CNN team witnessed a mobile testing unit arrive at the port. Yet the day ended as it began, with anxiety mounting among the drivers desperate to get home for the holiday season.”

You’re right Fleur. Facts must be faced. The British authorities did SFA for the drivers, from toilets to testing, (apart from arresting some of them). The French have had to bale them out with trained resources and 10,000 test kits. Meanwhile the Mail and Sun gutter press blame Macron for the problem, even though it was Johnson and Hancock’s lies that started this whole debacle.

2 Likes

With French not British jours fériés :laughing:

1 Like