What are your choices for ‘Best Ten Albums of All Time’?

The Supernatural…an unforgettable piece of music.

Some classic albums listed already.

An impossible choice…

Alice Cooper - Schools Out
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Carole King - Tapestry
CSNY - Déja Vu
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
The Beatles - Get Back
Stephen Stills - Manasass
Neil Young - Harvest
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers

Tubular Bells has got to be on that list … all of the album is original and has stood the test of time! Frampton Comes Alive … that’s how a live album should be done. Defo Sgt Pepper. Bowie - I’m thinking Ziggy Stardust will remain as the iconic album. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd. There’s plenty more … Beach Boys Pet Sounds was changing music as well.

1 Like
  1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
  2. Radiohead - OK Computer
  3. Depeche Mode - Violator
  4. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
  5. Kylie Minogue - Impossible Princess
  6. Human League - Reproduction
  7. Queen -A Night at the Opera
  8. REM - Automatic for the People
  9. Duran Duran - Duran Duran
  10. Led Zeppelin - 4 Symbols
1 Like

@Sandy_Hewlett

Yes, thanks for reminding me about Tubular Bells…I must look out the disc for that… went down a treat at the Christmas Carols session some years ago…time to give it another whirl…:grinning: (I have to start organizing the playlist in July, as the time flies by)

1 Like

Just been looking at the top 100 selling albums list. Very few of our choices appear so far. Probably goes to show how personal these things are…

1 Like

There are loads more I could add, and 10 is so few, but here goes…

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedos
The Cars - The Cars
T-Rex - Electric Warrior
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Joni Mitchelle - Clouds
Julie London - Julie is her Name
Nat King Cole - Unforgettable
Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue

That’s because we obviously don’t like/think much of country/rap music and M. Jackson, and haven’t included “greatest hits” type albums.

Music is a very personal thing… . I think we have had a great selection posted here… and there are bound to be more just waiting to be rediscovered…

Country/Rap and M Jackson will soon appear on someone’s list… and why not ??? :grinning:

Can’t disagree with that…

Had it have been a top 20 Album list I would have included a Nanci Griffiths album. The one artist I have kept from my Country days of the early 90’s.

Dark Side of the Moon, surely ?

Many years ago my French partner suggested we listen to music (sorry no Classical here) from 1963 to present day (several hundred albums) and make a list of the albums that we considered the best from each group. By voting seperately and tallying the points we came up with a list of the best albums for those years (419).

In no order (and they change a lot) these are my 10 current favourites

Sixx AM - This is gonna hurt

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Alice Cooper - Million Dollar Babies

Pearl Jam - Ten

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon

Led Zepplin - 1V

Santana - Supernatural

The Sones - Sticky Fingers

Ten Years After - Ssssh

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

I thought Billion dollar babies was a much better album :sunglasses:

Ha ha Mark, I wondered who was going to spot that mistake ! You must be richer than me :wink:

Loving everyone’s lists. Great post.

Most people who know me think I have terrible taste in music and I was always ridiculed as a teenager (in the 1980s) for being a huge fan of Barry Manilow. Anyway, here’s my favourites although with some it’s difficult to choose particular albums.

Barry Manilow - choose any album, all of them are wonderful.

The Carpenters - again, chose any album. Karen Carpenter’s voice was sublime.

Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever - iconic music, can’t believe no-one else has chosen them.

Bee Gees - Their Greatest Hits The Record - the album that hubby and I chose to listen to together most often.

Spice Girls - Spice - can’t beat a bit of girl power.

Elvis Presley - Always on my Mind The Ultimate Love Songs Collection - again, first time he’s been mentioned. Such a beautiful voice.

Bridget Jones Diary Soundtrack - I know, I know but this is my favourite film and I adore this collection of songs.

Phil Collins - Hits - what can I say?, most of you probably howling by now!!

Kylie Minogue - Light Years - the comeback abum that included Spinning Around and those gold hotpants! Love Kylie, an inspiration for me.

Robbie Williams - once again I can’t chose just the one.

Brilliant selection Mandy, closest I’ve got with any of them are early Genesis and Kylies duo with Nick Cave

1 Like

One of the first albums I ever bought, it might have even been the first.

I think mine have to be od school soul from my DJ days a loooong time ago
The Big 16 - The Impressions
Um,um,um,um,um,um - Major Lance ( import)
Ecstasy- Ohio Players
But these could change according to my mood

If anyone wants to listen to some French singers here are a few Cd’s from our collection I’ve chosen …You may be able to find them on YouTube

Renaud - Rouge Sang

Tri Yann - Le Meilleur (Best of) This is a compilation fromYou tube because it gives a general feel of the group

Michel Polnareff - Les plus belles Chansons (It’s a pity that one of my favourites Holidays is not on this album)

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

Les Rita Mitsouko - Rita Mitsouko

Jean Jacques Goldman - Entre gris claire et gris fonçé

Jacques Higelin - Amor Doloroso

Lara Fabian - Les Meilleurs Chansons

Barbara - ( I have the full collection )

Grégory Lemarchal - La voix d’un ange (my mother adores this album, as do I )