What counts as necessary travel?

Hi All,

Tried to see if there s an answer in a thread already but couldn’t spot one.

My OH would like to go back to the UK to look after our Grand-daughter as her parents employer is not being helpful, we are French residents. Would travel back to UK for that purpose be considered allowable under the present travel restrictons?

Thanks.

You could tick the box that says
déplacements pour motif familial impérieux, pour l’assistance aux personnes vulnérables ou la garde d’enfants
If stopped your OH would have to be able to explain the situation to the gendarmes so that they accept it as a “motif impérieux” ie a compelling reason (eg there is nobody closer who can look after the child).
Bear in mind that once in the UK she may not find it easy to return to France in the short term.

Thanks Anna.

Ah, I’d missed the “garde d’enfants” bit of it, over and above the vulnerable bit.

Yes, the return is a problem for us but it may be a case of needs must.

1 Like

Err isn’t one of the main recommendations coming from the schools closing that grandparents should not be asked to child mind. These measures are to protect the grandparent not the children. Travelling to a different country to do exactly that would be frowned upon, for good reason.

She might be a young grandparent :wink: Not all grannies are 60+ …

1 Like

Dan I think politicians don’t live in the real world! Of course grandparents are looking after their grandchildren, whatever the risks. Who else is going to do it? My friend lives with her daughter (single mum) and her granddaughter precisely so she can help with childcare while mum works. No way is that going to change.

In this case Grandmother is only 62 and has no underlying health problems. If the UK Government wants to impose restrictions, impose them, but don’t do half of it but not another half. Our daughter can’t afford to lose her wage but can’t get her full wage on SSP but her employer can get support in paying wages but they don’t want to. The nursery grand-daughter goes to has been told to close but they still say fees have to be paid, although I don’t think any parents will be paying them.

1 Like

Well… covid-19 could change it.

I wasn’t making a joke.

1 Like

Why are people ignoring the enormity if this situation and allowing their selfishness to make them believe they are above the law. The French President has made it clear that apart from essentials he wants people to stay at home or as close to home, < 1km, as possible. The British Prime Minister has stated that he does not want children left in the care of grandparents, https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/boris-johnson-tells-parents-dont-17945774 . International borders are being closed.
On this forum this evening I’ve read of people chatting to neighbours out on a walk, totally ignoring the banning of social groups, grandparents asking about what paperwork they will need to travel hundreds of miles to perform child minding duties and other examples of ways that the control measures are being ignored and broken.
Please get real, this is not a game. The people in France and the people in Britain are being asked to behave in particular ways to fit in with national plans. The leaders of both countries have described the situation as a war. Believe me this is bigger than you however narcissistic and self centred you think you are.

4 Likes

Anna’s reply was pointing out that if someone in the household contracts Covid 19 then the situation could change I could see no grandstanding

I didn’t see the post that Sue withdrew.
But it seems to me that it’s her friend who isn’t living in the real world, not the ‘politicians’.
In the real wold there are real risks. Convincing yourself that you are immune from those risks, is living in fantasy land.

3 Likes

I was so excited this morning.
I had to go out to the Doctors surgery by pre-arranged RDV. First time out of the house for nearly 2 weeks.
After the RDV it was necessary for OH to drive me to the Pharmacie on the way home.
So, there I was encapsulated in our car armed with my freshly completed form and and my CdS and a Gendarme vehicle drove up towards me.
They didn’t stop! The didn’t challenge me.
Has my reputation preceded me??

Hit the orange pencil at the top of the the post and you can see it

1 Like

I tipped them the wink… :wink:

2 Likes

According to our over-the-water Dear Leader everything is “fantastic”, the prospects for a post-Brexit future, the current state of the NHS, the financial security of people who are losing their businesses or jobs, schools that have to stop educating children, prospects for sending the virus packing with a “fantastic” cure, his own necrosing career as a Great Statesman in the Chuchillian tradition etc etc.

All boozy Bullingdon Club Boris fantasy.

1 Like

I wonder if he is still paying over £120 per bottle for his favourite lunchtime tipple?

For some reason, Eurotunnel is still running between the UK and France. I read an article this morning about how the staff can not comprehend why, if the borders are supposed to be shut, airports shut down, etc. Clearly, the physical land link to the UK remains politically sensitive to both countries, above and beyond the epidemic.

One word - goods.

there could well be folk who do need to travel… maybe Health/Security folk… who knows… and deliveries to be made perhaps… I can’t imagine the trains are running empty… “but stranger things have happened” as we all know… :zipper_mouth_face: