What do you have for breakfast?

One sprightly 80-year-old viticulteur reckoned that a glass of wine at breakfast set him up nicely for the day ahead… and another at lunch… and again in the evening. Just what one needs to cope with life’s little challenges… he told us with a broad smile…

Well, we don’t have it for breakfast… but it’s great at any other time… :hugs:

7h00 : an espresso, a banana, almonds perhaps a crêpe before I drop my daughter off for the school bus, then 7h45 : an espresso or two with mates in one of my local bars when I deliver the paper before opening my tabac at 8h00. And then I’ll often attack a small pack of Maìz (grilled sweetcorn), I think I eat far more than I sell :smiley:

1 Like

For years when the children were small to early teens we used to whizz up a Creme Budwig( banana ,lemon,fromage frais ,oats,crushed walnuts or similar and a tiny bit of oil), You would probably call it a sort of breakfast smoothie now and I suppose it is better to eat these things whole but it was really delicious at the time and the boys loved it
Of course they later slid into eating packets of highly sugared cardboard ,which I really fought against but was not the only one doing the shopping . Their French Mamie and Papy were at the time very suspicious of of anything with oats(animal food)and always fed them sugary cereals with powdered sweet chocolate on the top when they got the chance.
The past few years I too have unfortunately turned to eating croissants and pain au chocolats for breakfast or cornflakes(without added sugar but sugary even so, and my ultimate comfort food with hot milk in cold weather)
However have been feeling really unhealthy of late so now am on my fifth day of the Dukkan diet(the only thing that seems to work for my sugar cravings,ie cutting it out altogether)
So this morning I had two slices of a no fat tuna quiche(minus pastry)and coffee;
Its not a very healthy to start off with but when I have weaned myself off the sugar cravings my blood pressure always comes down(could be the water retention loss however)and I already feel so much better.Will it last,maybe not but am always hopeful!
I’d love to get to the stage where I could eat one bowl of muesli and not want 3.

For me…my coffee i add a few things to the mix of it (sugar, crushed mint candy, milk and chocolate powder)…and toast with strawberry jelly. Being from Cali i am used to all the foofie stuff that goes in coffee so i had to become creative when i arrived here! My hubby thinks im cRaZy…but still smiles cause its his lil reminder im his Cali girl!

2 Likes

hi, I havent been able to find Rooibos tea here yet (Dordogne) do you buy yours online? thanks in anticipation of your help. Wendy

I buy mine at Super U, or BioCoop, or La Vie Claire…

Thank you, Havent been here full time for long so only just now running low, I was a bit rushed when I was in the BioCoop (buying no sugar muesli for breakfasts) and forgot to check it out, but I think there is a SuperU at Mussidan.

Yes and much cheaper too, @james can you post the link please?

Sold out for the moment

I do two days of light fasting a week and on those days have lowfat yoghurt with blueberries - very filling although I’m finding it hard to find blueberries in the shops at the moment, whereas last year they were plentiful in Lidl and supermarkets right through to Xmas. On the other five days it’s porridge with linseeds, made with water, with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon on top … sees me through to early afternoon. But I’m intrigued by Peter’s neighbour’s suggestion of chicory, eggs and vinaigrette which sounds tempting …

Rooibos is available in almost all supermarkets and also in all of the bio shops.images there are lots of brands but this one is easy to get.

1 Like

thank you for the link.

thank you, will now know what to look out for.

You may need to look in the bio bit of the supermarket rather than the tea coffee etc section, they like spreading things around.

1 Like