What do you wish you'd bought before you got to France?

Hello,
Paint is very expensive in France, much cheaper and easier to use from UK (or is it that I’m used to British paint?).
I bought some French ceiling/wall paint a few years back and it was like painting with milk - got more on me and the floor/walls than stuck to the ceiling!

I have found that if you mix French paint with a paddle stirrer attached to a drill it does thicken up (as was liquid at top of pot, sludge at bottom).

That doesn’t address the cost issue though.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. You may like to read the blog post I wrote based on your advice and comments.

2 Likes

@toryroo you mentioned let you know if the Hammerite offer at LeRoy Merlin pops up again this year.

So far only the manufacturer-sponsored one has just come back. 7 euros off any tin sized at least 0.5L (500ml) but you have to send off for it after purchase. Valid 1 tin discounted per household March-May so not much off overall.

2 garden chairs 2 coats, or 1 table and tbat’s 1 750ml tin gone. 30 euros for 750ml size. This would make it 23 euros So £18.50 approx. So brings it eiithin UK cost range £16 to £20. The 1 tin limitation kills it unless small job.

2.5L tins 76 euros so only brings it down to 69euros (£55). UK price this size is £40-£45 and wider choice of colours. You might be better off looking for another offer or cashback here in France.

The offer does work for Duluz Valentine branded pots of paint too
LeRoy Merlin might have had a 25% off offer last year that included Hammerite. If it comes up should be March and think would last till early May. If I see it I’ll flag it as well.

1 Like