What has brightened your day? -ongoing thread

A wander round a VG near Redon and finding a French made ‘Complices’ denim jacket for 2€ :grin:

3 Likes

having a dip in the pool with my wonderful grandson

2 Likes

For someone who doesn’t rate football hardly at all, I was delighted to watch Mexico thrash Germany by 1 goal to nil in the World Cup tournament in Russia. Oh, how the mighty are fallen!

1 Like

Not today, but last night… during a Repas Citoyen fundraiser in our Salle des Fêtes.

A young accordionist was playing during the meal…folk were munching or chatting… depending on where they were in the serving order… then, as his session drew to a close, he put his accordion to one side, turned back to the microphone and gave us a show-stopping version of Nessum Dorma (acapella). (yes, I know this has almost been done to death, but it is still a wonderful aria).

The surprise of him bursting into song stopped folk in mid-munch, mid-chat… you could have heard a pin drop … and, as his final notes died away, the applause which followed… reduced the lad to tears.

He later confided to me that this was the first occasion he had sung in public. I have a feeling it might not be his last. :relaxed:

3 Likes

He could probably tell he had a receptive audience

1 Like

We had been having difficulty finding someone to entertain the diners… a friend mentioned his name, so we asked him … took some persuading as he is very shy… I had no idea he could sing :open_mouth:

Anyway, he and I got on like a house on fire… he was very pleased to have the opportunity to use his English on me, so I let him… :relaxed:

There is always noise at these affairs and , at first, he just played against the babble of the crowd, with few seeming to take any notice. I was beginning to wonder if he would lose heart, when a few folk started humming/singing along to the old tunes… phew, that was a relief.

Then a couple started dancing… and then another… soon it was singing, chatting, dancing or dining…

It was obvious to me that everyone was thoroughly enjoying the whole affair… so I suppose he did feel relaxed and comfortable… and I’m very pleased… since his Nessum Dorma… was the icing on the cake… :relaxed::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

A run to the Priory at Pen Lan, for a chicken, eggs and veg, then a good walk round the coast path, lovely day, sunny and warm, with a strong possibility of a barby for din! :grin:

1 Like

@Stella what area are you in? Others may wish to hire this star.

1 Like

a lovely phone call from a client and a bit of a laugh on the phone. “pins in the eyes”

2 Likes

Ha ha… I’ll act as his Agent… although he is much too young for the big-time just yet… :relaxed:

After a break of a 2-3 years, we again have kestrels nesting in one of the deep window ledges (outside the window pane of an unused room). Four large chicks from counting the heads sticking up for food. It’s a treat to see the parents returning like jet fighters on a low fast and twisting track between the trees to drop off their catches - I guess they do this to hide where they’re nesting.

6 Likes

My 1973 Series 3 Land-rover was returned to me after a brief Séjour in a health resort, and is considerably refreshed. On the road it commands great respect. It is equipped front and rear with bumper-bars like railway lines, and never exceeds 80 kph even on the autoroutes, despite à 2,5 litre engine that would drag any modern 4x4 into a ditch, no contest.

I use it mainly for pulling up recalcitrant tree-stumps and carrying ordure to the local décheterie. But it does have a placid, pacifying effect on local roads, and on temperamental local Audi drivers.

The mechanic who tended it tells me that models of this vintage are in great demand, and at auction mine might reach Euro 15, 000 “as is”. That definitely brightened my day…

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a golden-oldie there Peter… excellent :relaxed:

Have had two, (petrol), ‘very, very’ well pre 70s Peter, used them for launching boats, great fun, hols in Scotland, the Lakes, had a Discovery in Portugal, not the same animal at all. Have a Rav 4 now, which as a 4x4 is a joke, but a nice comfortable car for a guy with a new hip :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree absolutely, Bill, nothing to beat the original in simplicity, faultless engineering design, and utter reliability under the most demanding operating conditions. And an unrivalled treat to drive. The original Range-Rover (Discovery) models were true to the tradition, but recent manifestations are an embarrassment, IMO.

As Stella says, Golden Oldies, and reminders of a lost, or almost lost, era and heritage… :cry:

That was a lovely story.

1 Like

A really happy ending, she is a dear little thing and we think a lot of her. She finally trusted me enough several months ago that I could take her to the vets ( after dosing with tranquilisers) for some care and to be sterilised. She already has part of one back paw missing through being (the vet thinks) caught in a trap but copes well.
My mum is 86 years young, fragile and disabled and the cat seems to sense this so often spends time on mum’s lap for cuddles. :slight_smile:
Here she is sleeping with her Teddy Tiger …

5 Likes

Glad she has found such good friends in you and your Mum… :relaxed:

1 Like

Absolutely nothing.
I have an awful head cold and we have spent hours waiting this morning at the garage and then waiting for the list at the Prefecture in Macon for the start of our Cartes de Sejours.
Although it is sunny I cannot really enjoy it.
Better tomorrow fingers crossed.

1 Like

Oh Jane , rotten luck to have a head cold in this lovely weather…

At least you have started the CdS process… taken that first step… hopefully it will all fall into place without too much hassle…