What is Carcassone really like?

We are spending a couple of months near Villeneuve sur Lot and are thinking of visiting Carcassone but some people have told us its a bit "Disney" - is this true or is it as great as it looks in the photos?

Thanks everyone for your advice on Carcassone. We did visit and thought it was a great place. Out of season it was quiet although many shops and cafes were shut. But just wandering about was great and the views were totally amazing. I hate to imagine what it would be like in the height of Summer though.

Well your a good two hours from Carcassonne, probably nearer three and around four to five hours from the important Cathar Castles.

Toulouse is interesting and worth a visit although I would head for Mirail (to the west of the city) and park in the big Geant car park there for free then catch the metro in to town.

If you're technically inclined you can visit the airport at Toulouse where the Airbus factory is and have a guided tour round the facility. There are two tours a week, one in English and the other in French.

http://www.toulouse-visit.com/offre/fiche/patrimoine-culturel/sas-taxiway-let-s-visit-airbus/PCUMID031FS00038

Thank you, it sounds worth a trip. We are staying in Villenueve sur Lot for 8 weeks so we should get plenty of opportunity to get to know the area.

It is a bit like Disney Land but still worth a visit. You need about a day to see the city and visit the town. It is a military town (Artillery and Paratroopers are based there). Personally I would stay south say at Quillan or there abouts from where you can visit all the Cathar Castles and of course Rennes le Chateau yet be within a hours drive of both Carcassonne and Perpignan. The area is well apointed for walking and water sports as well site seeing.

It is really beautiful. I just went around quickly and plan to go back.