What is the best free site for learning french for a complete novice!

The BBC do a good course called FRENCH STEPS, completely free.

Bonne chance!

TIMOTHY

http://french.about.com

You could try this it's quite interesting. Seems to be aimed at American students. Includes audio and simple tests. Click the start learning tab on this link. Buy a tv and watch French TV buy a local paper and start reading talk to your neighbours.

Try Coffee Break French - the basic podcasts are free but you can have subscription for more detailed stuff and to download the pdfs.

also there is "learn french by podcast" - again the basics are free but you have to buy the pdfs in bundles. Dont know what the french pdfs are like but i did try the first 20 lessons of german.

To be honest, did not need to use one but from what I have heard none of them is especially good. Andrew has given you the best advice, bit of a slog perhaps but with patience and practice you'll get there.

haven't got any website info, sorry, but i'm sure many others will. Just to say that once you've got some basinc grammar and phrases etc that as many different inputs as possible is a good bet thus exposing yourself as much as possible, tv (with subtitles to begin with), radio (more difficult), local paper, magazines, listen to people in the street, shops etc while queueing - be nosey and try and work out what's being said ;-)

“Bonne chance à tous … quoi que soit le moyen choisi pour apprendre le Français!”

Quel que soit le moyen, non !? :wink:

1 Like