What is this bulb?

We have quite a lot of Verbena Bonariensis in our garden. This year these are coming up amongst the roots. They look a bit like an orchid and have an insignificant brownish flower. The Verbena’s growth seems to be stunted where they occur and in some cases discoloures and dies. I could tease out the bulbs and replant but am tempted just to discard them.

Much too long since I had enough garden soil to grow anything much.

So, I would be tempted to “pot” this and see what it turns into…

1 Like

My thoughts are that it’s definitely some kind of orchid parasite. It only occurs within the roots of Verbena. Can’t find it anywhere else at all.

Edit… having done some reading and looked at some pics it seems likely that it is something called Broomrape which feeds of its host plant. Many different varieties too.

are you going to grow one in a pot to see how it turns out ??

I’ve never seen one that size, but looks like a broomrape. Some are quite pretty, but personally wouldn’t bother.

From memory, last years looked like this,

1 Like

Oh, that’s pretty! Our ones are ugly…

1 Like

I think that one was just particularly photogenic…ours aren’t that good!

1 Like

We had something similar to your photo… appeared for a few years then vanished… it had been surviving in a tiny patch of rough grassland and when we started mowing it (irregularly but obviously too often)… it stopped appearing… drat and double drat

I was exhilarated by my discovery of this “rare” plant… even after it turned out to be nothing more nor less than the Common Spotted Orchid… (note “common” :wink: )

1 Like