What is wrong with French shops?

To Valerie,

I live in France, I have no "bolt-hole" in the U.K. I pay the usual habitation tax etc, I am also a registered French tax payer, our pensions are sent from the U/K with no taxation at all, they are also converted into euros and deposited in our French bank account, because of the fluctuations with the Euro when it comes to me paying my tax on income the fluctuations are averaged out and I pay that average, this, I am led to understand is the norm for an ex pat to pay his/her tax requirement.

The agents that visit me do so , I would imagine for altruistic reasons, i.e. They want to keep my business, and its assistance like that, that keeps me with them.

I have no idea what my entitlements are in the U.K. except to say , when i gave a French address I had to pay for an eye test insted of getting it free, i could have claimed back via CPAM but to be honest --couldn't be arsed. If I am ever ill in the U,K, I would just turn up in a hospital and hope to get treated, which i am sure i would, payment can then be argued about at a later date .

I hope half of what you say is tongue in cheek, Richard. If not you have one heck of an attitude. Reminds me of some of the dinosaurs on the Isle of Man, who used to say to "come-overs" (folk who move here from outside - British, Irish or wherever from), "if you don't like the way we do things, there's a boat at 9 o'clock in the morning"!!

Thank goodness that attitude has changed in the last 30 years, otherwise we'd still have the birch to whip offenders with, homosexuality would be a criminal offence, and the IoM would be living on spuds and herring!!

I actually doubt that the way you describe the French is true. My French friends are mostly go ahead, probably moan more about some of their compatriots inefficiencies than the "ex pats" (what a horrible description) do.

In our village in the Aude, we could not be more rural, but we have a French owned garage/convenience store "open all hours", a little greengrocer/wine cellar equally open (run by the family), the local G20 supermarket "non-stop inc Sunday morning.

Nuff said, back to the Olympics!!

To Carol,

Yes true, I can be very charming and constructive, it's a trait of mine ---

But to answer you, ---NO ------ I have VERY VERY few ------ what I consider friends, let me define what I consider a friend --- someone who, without fear or favour will give in return that which you would give in the first instance ---- and in my many years of living I have found --VERY FEW --- that would live to that ethic.

That said, I am ----- VERY FRIENDLY ---- towards many people, as they are to me, being FRIENDLY and being FRIENDS are poles apart, being friendly means you OFFER advice /help etc if wanted --- being a friend is giving advice /help, no matter what, to someone and backing it up, even at the expense of going out of your "comfort zone".

But I base my friendships on service life, where a friend would offfer his life to save yours and vice versa, and no, thats not being melodramatic that is having faith and trust ---in a true friend .

off topic I know but hey ------ this is France --------god i love it here.

It seems to me Richard that all you do is moan

To Jo Blick,

Jo please tell me what is appalling about not wanting to listen to ex-pats constantly moaning about this and that and nearly always comparing prices and events with the U.K.If they are that P****D off with things French then surely the obvious is to return whence you came??

For your information, I DO NOT have plenty of recources to hand, we live on a fairly tight budget, that said I can afford to to buy a 5 Euro watch from a brocante stall once the batteries supplied have run out, or is that exessive spending ?. I can afford to take my wife out for a Plat du Jour, especially now the the pound is soaring away from the Euro, or is that also excessive?

You live in France --- Not the U.K. the French do things their ways --- like it --or lump it ---- you chose to live here ---- if you can't stand the heat, stay away from he kitchen.

Someone earlier, either on this thread, or another that this site was good for --- venting ones spleen ---- in English--to fellow ex - pats living here in France, why waste your time typing away, go out and look for your local ex-pat moaners -- they can usually be found talking in loud voices --spreadeagled and suntanned in any "centre Ville" cafe,

You are never going to change the French physcie--so live with it --- go with the streaam -- smell the ruddy roses---but just remember one thing ---------- what goes on in France is normal living to the FRENCH, they have never experienced the luxuries of living on a small island with 59 million people driving around a country two and a half tims smaller than theirs, being able to exchange things will nilly, to them what happens is everyday life -------------------- God i love it here ------- no moans from me --"en autre vin rouge svp garcon." ( or whatever is French for --"I'll have another one of those please")

Finn...you can get cheaper insurance...but not if you are 64 with an ongoing health problem requiring regular medication and blood tests...

We went through that procedure...to the point of mediation....that took 5 months, at that point our neighbour, French and very angry on our behalf..as he felt it was a point of national pride...went to their offices in Perpignan...and was very loud and very demanding...he found out their was a piece of land...3 ft long...that they couldnt find an owner for...so wouldnt dig across it to lay the required cables to put in our telephone line (in 5 months we hadnt managed to get any answer so he did well) then he came back....dug the channel....and they laid the lines! we honestly didnt find the procedure helpful....the mediator collected all the information and then we didnt hear anything for 2 months...and in fact because the problem was solved we didnt go back to them...and we never heard another thing...

I think you are right Tracy...used to think it was just the result of a messy mind...but am sure now its to ensure I eye up every item before hitting the till!

Well Finn...dont understand that as we have a qualified accountant in France and the UK and Nick most def. is being taxed as a single man.....I spent 10 months in the UK last year and will be here 7 months this year...and not back in France next year...we are paying a lot more tax because I am not living in France....help!!!

Well said Tracy!

I actually think you've hit on the difference there, Tracy. Obviously I've not been in France anywhere near as long as you, but life toddles along in a similar vein. I work on a variety of things throughout my 7 day week, whether it's working at my 'earning' job or, if that's quiet, mowing the grass, shifting rubble and decorating the house. Oh and raising a 7 year old (or nearly 8 as I'm constantly reminded). It's probably because of the lack of time that, if something does crop up, I just have to get on and deal with it. I've no real time to sit and ponder over whether things should or could be done differently. It's the way France is, yes it can be irritating and sometimes I want to shake people, but I've experienced that in 2 other countries so what's new, and I chose to live here so c'est la vie.

And yes I'm happy that when things are quiet and I have a couple of hours, I can kick a ball round with the Twerp or float around on my big inflatable tyre with him (and the dog) in the paddling pool. So very simple, but it's what we came for and we're loving it. So I'm with you.

Hope this comes out next to the right post - 'Like' Valerie. Have you never noticed this in the UK Carol, it's called 'marketing' :-)

Have to say Richard, I think you are living in Nirvana and I am jealous. However, I have been here many years, am married with small children and have to earn a living, so am in that sector that should find it super difficult. Yet, now I have learned patience (which was never my strong point), I would rather live here than anywhere else.

I have recently given up my CDI for a French company to become self employed (our friends think I am mad - both French and Brits), even though my husband has been self employed for many years - first as a UK company in France then as a French company. We pay our taxes here, our charges, our children are educated in the French system and we think it is great.

I'd just like you to know that you are not alone, life can be good, if a bit irritating, just like any other country. I will get round to being a French citizen when I have time. We have one French car for work (I am a professional driver)- we have one UK car re-registered as a run a round as it is cheaper and easy to re-register.

There are loads of things to gripe about if you want to - we are just so busy we don't have time, we're too busy getting on with life and making the most of it in the meantime. VIVE FRANCE

There is a superb Carrefour just outside Perpignan....the fish stall alone is worth a visit with crabs and lobsters taking walks around the counter...one of the very best stores Ive ever been to....but the problem is they vary so much...sublime to the ridiculous.....

I went on the trip as a favour - plus the geography department paid me three days, hotel and anyway it was with a couple of friends anyway. I had never been in anywhere like it. A vast shop, light and airy, the selection of stuff out of this world. One of my friends was doing a project on consumer behaviour, I said such big places would never catch on. Since then I have been in Carrefours in Bangkok, Berlin, Prague, Vienna and see them in various other countries. It is still far more international than Tesco. I am just amazed they are not doing well in their home market.

Its not that I dont believe you Brian...just that we used to do regular day trip shopping and it was always the big Mammouth and Auchan at Calais....on holidays I honestly kept away from huge supermarkets...just shopped local to wherever we stayed.

Before YOU heard of Carrefour, but I visited Caerphilly in about 1978 as you will see from this chain and they were around in France for years, with the first Hypermarket, Supermarket and lots more under one roof. they created the world model, end of story. It is part of retail history. they only ever had eight stores in the UK anyway, which the big ones like Tesco flooded out.

They regularly disconnected from discussions...I sent loads of registered letters....complained to managers...and all I got was rudeness and shrugs....I wrote to the MP in charge of communications...Francois Mitterand...several letters...all registered...never a reply....!!! Ive just blogged an article about MPs expenses and salaries in France...outrageous....they dont even need to produce an expense claim...ditto with the expenses of employing staff...they are given a lump sum and then dont spend it on staff...but on personal holidays....going to read a book now as getting angry.....grrrrhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks, Susan!
Great consolation for a rising 70-year old :-)

Susan we are def. sisters under the skin...I miss my shopping in France...and as I am back in the UK have managed to spend my 2 days (so far) in the shops for 8 hours eachday....love it! dont care if that makes me materialistic...I enjoy it and keep many shops in business!!!