What is your favorite French expression?

my fave expression in France is

SURVIVE FRANCE NETWORK

Get in!

C'est comme pisser dans un violon...

"Oh, putain!"

this one but really made me laugh -il veut peter plus haut que son cul..... thinks he's the bees knees- now where did that one come from in English?

Hello, I love food and all the food related expresssions that there are in France, like mettre du beurre dans les épinards-to make ends meet or je ne me sens pas dans mon assiette- feeling off colour lol

I had some difficulty at first when the French call someone 'speciale', it appears to mean they are difficult - I was told this by a headmistress of a primary school after she had sent me to deal with a parent. How did you get on she inquired, OK I said and then she came out with il est special

Love Eddie Izzard.

For a problem with the chaudierre.......c'est normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1sQkEfAdfY eddie izzard's favourite phrases

I like 'occupe-toi de tes oignons', my family seems to prefer 'putain' and 'merde'. I like saying 'il faut que j'y aille' because then I imagine that I have conquered the subjunctive.

When you feel an sudden urgence to go to 'the small room'.... "La taupe est au guichet!" or "J'ai la cigarre aux lèvres!!" :)

les deux pieds dans le meme sabot.

@ Claire - I blame her mother ;-)

Despite the vague crudity, merde is very flexible! One can just change the intonation and give it a host of meanings. Eh!Alors! is similar.

What a pleasure to read so many useful, daily expressions. I'll add my two cents with the expression I use when making an appointment, namely "trouver un créneau dans l'agenda". It translates to mean to look for time in the calendar, but I also like the figurative sense of créneau as the crenalations (slots) in a fortified wall. Very pittoresque, n'est-ce pas?

Oh no Nick - I use the Occupe-toi de tes oignons expression. I first heard this when the children were at maternelle - only got the teachers to blame!

Has to be - Ooh la la - and I've heard so many different ways of saying it around here; it can accompany everything from the downright bad to the amazingly good.

Quite appropriate in our facebook/twitter era : Amusez vous à afficher votre vie privée et vous en serez privés.

They say 'get on with your onions' in parts of Spain too... like!

Love the Gallic shrug cartoon.