What next! + French number plates

Morning Angela,

They were on the approved list when we booked them. Don’t know now.

Still running the gauntlet, don’t get back to La Belle France until 16th. Up to the North East today. Then back to Tamworth, finishing off with a couple of days in Brizzol.

Joy !!!

Andy

1 Like

Have lodged a formal complaint about them with the NHS feedback site.

For what good that will do

Andy

I used Assured Screening. Tests arrived as promised, results (posted test) took 3 days. Had to do test to release and went to centre - appointment 8 am Mon result 5.30 pm Tuesday. Pricing was dodgy, cost just over 200 pounds in all for 3 tests but was charged 4 pounds VAT for some reason.

Not any longer, it used to be the case when the département was part of the actual registration number which was a real pain when hoping between départements, but now you can put whichever département you like on the number plate, hence all the 2A and 2B plates !

1 Like

Boris has now renamed Highways England as National Highways in his ongoing efforts to strengthen the Union. Rather misleading, since National Highways will still only manage England, as before. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will continue to manage their own roads.

read this

or this

So can we actually get to a certain answer here because there are a few slightly different ones. You @an_droo suggest that it’s not compulsory to have the number where you live as the number on your plate, and can choose any, which is what I understood also, but @Mat_Davies question further up asks

Which makes me wonder whether it’s compulsory to have something, whatever number you want but something, or whether you can just dump that right hand side of the plate and just have AA-123-ZZ (assuming you’re using the newer format not the old style that had the department as part of the main plate number) and nothing else?

Yes my new neighbour here in Occitanie (who so far has been commented on by locals as not friendly) turns out to have amongst her cars a rather snazzy little BMW Metro with a 78 plate. Nuff said :slight_smile:

PMFJI but what’s one of those please?

I gave a fairly comprehensive explanation on the other thread specific to this question! I think @Flocreen meant to post on that one!

@kirsteastevenson No you do not need a department number on your number plate now but most people choose to put one on and it can be very misleading indeed if the car is later sold to someone in an other department. The number plate doesn’t have to be changed even if it does have a department number added on the end because it is not part of the official immatriculation (Unless it’s a really old car with the department forming part of the number. I don’t know what happens then)

1 Like

Mini Metro, newer version as owned by BMW

1 Like

Good grief! I’d assumed that they had all died with head gasket failure or rusted away by now. One of my ex clients worked for a part of the BMW/Rover debacle, and towards the end they were being given new company cars at the rate of one every three months to keep the ‘sales’ figures looking good :rofl:

It’s official! Brexit = shit…

2 Likes

Are you sure?

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/JORFTEXT000020237128
" Les plaques d’immatriculation des véhicules portant le numéro définitif prévu à l’article R. 322-2 du code de la route doivent comporter un identifiant territorial constitué par le logo officiel d’une région ou de la collectivité européenne d’Alsace et le numéro de l’un des départements de cette collectivité territoriale."
Have a look at the cars on the road, you won’t see one without.

I think you may be getting confused with the superseded registration number system where the department number was actually part of the registration number, so if you live in department 41 your registration number ends with 41. The entire system was different back then - when the vehicle changed hands and/or changed departments, it was given a new number. Now the registration number doesn’t include the department code and the vehicle keeps the same number for life. But you have to have a sticker on the number plate with a department code on, which need not be the department where the owner lives. Goodness knows why you need it, but you do.

5 Likes

Thanks @Geof_Cox - I love Matt, he so often gets it just so right. I’m sitting here laughing out loud.

1 Like

With the COP26 coming up soon, it’s definitely not a good look.

Not allowed! French logic…

I’ve seen several cars here that have the new plates without any department number on them. When I got my new plates a few years ago, I could have bought a plain plate with no department number. I chose to spend a few more euros and have the department number

That is odd because if you look at the post that an_droo the car registration guru wrote and then deleted, he also seems to think you need it. I hope he doesn’t mind the post being revealed, I guess he deleted it because he realised after writing it that he had misunderstood my post which I admit wasn’t very clear, but this is what he wrote

“No you don’t, Sandcastle, or to be exact, yes you do need it but it doesn’t have to the départemant where you live. This has been covered many times on the television. The latest crack down is cars their failing contrôle technique because the owner has used one of the stickers to change the département rather than getting a new number plate done (not required unless you wish to change the département shown on the number plate)”

By all means delete this if it’s bad form to pick up on a withdrawn post but I think we need a definitive answer if having non conforme number plates is a CT failure.

1 Like